23. Thank You

Authors note:

So the day has finally come when the last chapter has been completed and put up (well technically this is the second to last chapter, there's still an Epilogue coming up next but not that it probably counts as a chapter...)! I am so happy to be able to say I have finished - this is the first story/novel I've ever actually managed to complete so that's pretty exciting.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who read it from beginning to end, I really appreciate it :D Thank you for your time and patience!

Finally, I hope you all enjoy(ed) reading it! I might try and edit it a bit later and perhaps re-write it a little bit (especially the earlier chapters) so that it'll hopefully improve it. 

Oh and btw, I can't believe I managed to write a chapter this long :O I remember reading other people's stories/novels and noting they'd had chapers that were 7 pages plus and thinking "how could they write that many pages??" haha (sorry, couldn't resist saying this xD)

Anyway, let's roll the chapter!

______

I frown up at the man standing above me.

"What are you doing here?" I say gruffly. "Are you stalking me now or something?"

"What? No, of course not," he jumps in quickly, defence mode already turned on.

He holds his hand out to me but I ignore it and pull myself up.

"Then what are you doing here?" I blatantly ask.

"Can't a man go to the beach without getting a third degree about it?" he semi-jokes, a small smile at his lips.

"Well, yeah... But it's you."

"Now what's that supposed to mean?" he questions, his smile wavering.

I give him a pointed look.

"My past has nothing to do with going to the beach," he states.

I open my mouth to say something but I feel a pang in my chest as I realise he's actually right. Yuck, that makes me cringe even just thinking of admitting he's right.

"Well..." I stall. "It can do if you plan on doing it to someone else."

Lame comeback, I know. Hush.

Josh raises an eyebrow at me. It looks as though he's going to say something but he then shakes his head as though he's telling himself not to say it.

"You'll never forgive me, will you?" he says, instead.

"Not as long as my heart keeps beating. Not as long as the birds keep chirping. Not as long as the Earth keeps turning. Not as long as-"

"In other words, 'no Josh, I wil never forgive you'," he says, cutting in.

I simply glare at him before I reach down and pick up my scattered items. He sighs in response then proceeds to help me.

"No," I spit out. "Don't help me. I don't need your help."

Josh turns away, a little hurt. I simply ignore him and carry on.

Picking up my nail polish - the last item left to pick up - I quickly stash it in my bag then I turn swiftly around and start heading to my car.

To my utter horror, I hear the light patter of footsteps echoing behind me.

I've got a shadow, it seems. Just my luck.