He Buys You a Car - Johnson

"Happy Birthday babe," Jack, my boyfriend of ten months, kisses my cheek, handing me a small box

"Thank you," I give him a red-lipped smile, pulling off the wrapping paper.

My family and friends watch as I open the box, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion as I pick up the blindfold.

"Um," I give Jack a confused look, not sure what to make of it.

He laughs, grabbing the blindfold and pulling it over my eyes. "I have a surprise to show you."

He helps me up. "Hold out your hand."

I do as he says and something cold- like metal- is placed in my hands.

"You can close your hand around them," he orders. I do so and he places his hand on the small of my back, leading me somewhere.

He tells me when there's a step and suddenly we stop.

"Okay, you can take the blindfold off," he kisses my temple real quick and I pull the blindfold off of my head, excited to see what the surprise is.

I look around in excitement. "What is it?"

"It's right in front of you," Jack laughs, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"The car?" My eyes bulge.

He can't buy me a car, cars are so expensive.

Especially for something as silly as a birthday.

And we're only ten months into our relationship- I would understand if we were dating for like, seven years and married, but we've just moved in together.

"You told me that you have an infatuation with GMCs but you don't trust cars, you think trucks are too country, minivans are for soccer moms and SUVs are for football moms so that leaves crossovers and hybrids," he laughs.

I mentally 'aw' at how he remembers my thoughts on different types of cars.

"So I got you a crossover," he walks towards the black car. "It's a 2016 GMC terrain."

"How much did it cost?" I ask nervously.

He gives me a look, resting a hand on the hood. "Do you really think I'm going to tell you that?"

I give him a sly smile. "It was worth a shot."

I walk towards him, wrapping my arms around his torso. "Thank you, Jack, this is so thoughtful of you. But I can't accept it."

"Why not?" He pulls back, resting his hands on my biceps, a frown present on his face.

"It's too much," I shake my head.

"Well think about it this way, you can keep this car for years," he points out. "It's not like we're going to break up anytime soon- and it's a present, Y/N."

"I understand, it's just normally people spend twenty dollars on a birthday present," I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "Not twenty thousand dollars."

"Twenty five thousand," I hear him murmur, thinking I can't hear him.

He hugs me after seeing my look of disbelief. "It seats five."

I huff in submission. "Thank you so much, Jack."

"I don't know how you're going to beat this next year," my dad comments from his spot watching in the yard with the rest of my family.