Chapter Seventeen

We left heaven without another word, and just began to freefall back down to earth, where I saw the town, the high school surrounded by fire trucks and police cars. Mr. Wright was standing in front of a news reporter and a camera, possibly being interviewed.
     "Where are we landing?" I called out at Scott.
     "Near the manor!" He replied. "I need to see if it's still standing after the black hole!"
     I remembered what he'd done to buy us some time against our first encounter with Gabriel. Seconds passed until I could see the manor, or what was left of it. My heart sank as we landed in front of place I used to call home.
     My body had returned to normal, also making some emotions return apart from rage. Sadness, shock, everything. "This wasn't the black hole, was it?" Div asked hopefully. Scott shook his head, his eyes fiery.
     "Angels blew the rest of the place up, left a few of the guards remaining and blew it."
     "Fuckers'll pay." Newt said. "I won't stand this after we lost Katie."
     "There's nothing left standing except the walls and some of the interior." Kat muttered.
     "I'm gonna go talk with Mr. Wright." I said. "I want to find out if Gabriel was lying or not."
     "He probably is, Liam." Stiles said. "I wouldn't believe him, but I also don't know the feelings you had with Catherine."
     "Yeah, but I'm willing to take a chance."
     With that, I walked down the gravel road to go find my orchestra teacher, and ask about any new students next year.

Scott's POV
(Third Person)

     Scott sighed as Liam walked off, and he returned his focus on his destroyed manor. How will he rebuild this, even before the high school was fixed? "Should we follow him so he doesn't get arrested?" Newt asked.
     "No." Scott said. "We focus on rebuilding the manor. He'll be back soon and help us out, hopefully with help."
     "If you insist." He shrugged, then picked up a brick, tossing it from hand to hand. "But I don't even know how we'll do this."
     "I don't either, Newt." Scott said, and Rose appeared next to him, clutching his arm. Scott smiled down at her, a weak, but hopeful one, one you would give a dying patient in the hospital. "But let's just stay in the present, and stick to the plan."

Liam's POV

     I found Mr. Wright leaning against one of the brick walls in the front of the high school, and approached him. "Mr. Wright." I said. "Nice to see you're not dead."
     He looked up at me, sadness lingered in his eyes like a thick fog. "Thirty percent of the school's students were killed after they captured you and the rest of the household."
     I immediately slumped. "We lost Katie, too. Against Gabriel."
     He placed his head in his hands, his grey hair blew in the wind. "Dammit. . ." Mr. Wright, I felt sorry for him that he had to endure all that stress and the survivor's guilt. "Things went from bad to worse, now the council and Lucifer are wanting a massive comeback."
     "This is only the beginning, isn't it?" I asked. My teacher nodded.
     "That was the first battle in an almost never-ending war. The spark has created a wildfire that can barely be contained."
     "So what do we do? We can't just shrug off what happened, can we?"
     "No, we can't. That's why Lucifer is bringing in Mak and a few others from his harem." Mr. Wright explained. "They'll become transfers on the first day of your senior year, Liam."
     "Why is everyone a transfer student? Why not, like a tragic accident and wound up in this hell hole?"
     Mr. Wright cracked a smile, and stood up straight, and looked at the destruction. "There's someone else coming, but in the winter, after break."
     My heart raced like it was in a NASCAR tournament. "Who?"
     "I don't know for sure, my boy. But she's a devil, like us. The council told me that much."
     "Great." I grumbled. "They explained to me why I was either gonna be killed or used to save everyone."
     "I could tell that you're wanting someone else other than Katie." He looked at me, curiosity enveloping his vision.
     "Uh-" I faltered. "No, I'm not."

   "Don't lie to someone who can basically read a person's thoughts with ease."
     I flung my arms in the air. "Alright, fine! I miss Catherine. Did Lucifer tell you about-"
     "Scott had explained the whole predicament at the engagement party, Liam." He said.
     "Yeah. It seems I can't even freaking save anyone I care for nowadays, ever since both Sarah and Catherine died last year."
     "You aren't letting go of them, are you?" I glanced down at my shoes. Mr. Wright was like some mind-reading orchestra teacher/devil. "You keep thinking it's your fault that they're dead, correct?"
     I nodded, and he continued. "Well stop, because the reason they're dead is that they sacrificed themselves for you and your household to succeed and get this far."
     I clenched my fists, but he was right. Sarah had saved me from dying by Asanté, and Catherine's death gave me the rage to take out Duél. Then Katie had died because I wasn't strong enough to fight Gabriel. Then I had an idea. "Is there any way to get them back?"
     Mr. Wright thought for a moment. "I don't know. Possibly the council would know, along with Lucifer since he's the Lord of hell itself."
     "True, true."
     Police officers began walking over, and Mr. Wright began to push me away. "Go. Get back to your friends, and make sure you rebuild the manor."

     I ran back to the manor, and when I reached it, I was shocked to see that everyone was using their powers to clean up the destruction. "Hey!" I shouted, stopping next to Ryan, who was picking up a brick. "Back. Mr. Wright didn't really say anything important, just the status report on the battle."
     "And?"
     "Thirty percent dead."
     Ryan sighed, tossing the brick in a growing pile of them, and sat on a rock. "Too many. Too many dead. If we hadn't have gone into heaven it'd be like ten percent!"
     "But if we didn't go into heaven, Gabriel would've continued to attack this place until everyone single supernatural being in a thirty-mile radius would be obliterated." I retorted.
     Ryan agreed after a moment of disagreement. "Fine. So war's beginning, eh?"
     "Afraid so, my vampire friend."
     "Stop." He said. "I don't really like that name. I prefer 'supreme immortal badass'."
     "Yeah, no. Not gonna happen." We both began to laugh, and I could feel emotions returning even more.

================================

     This book is probably gonna be a tad bit shorter than the first book, since I've already basically finished the plot, just summing things up for you all so there's no cliffhangers just yet. Next chapter will be the last, apart from the epilogue, so yeah.