Short Story #8

"You know what." I whispered barely audible over the wind. "What?" Jeremy asked barely brushing his fingers against mine. I laced our fingers together. "This city is ours.. We can do whatever we want.." I said. "I guess we could.." he said. "I'm really gonna miss this city without you though..." I said starting to tear up. "I'll only be two hours away. I'll come home every weekend. I promise." He said turning towards me. He wiped off the single tear that trickled down my cheek. Jeremy was leaving for college at the end of summer and I just didn't want to loose the boy I'd come to know and love. He cupped my face in his hand. "I won't stop loving you. No matter how far apart we are." He said hesitantly leaning in for a kiss. I reached up to touch his cheek as we kissed.  We pressed our foreheads together gently. "I'm just so scared to lose you. The pain of that would be unbearable." I said looking deeply into his eyes. He now held both of my hands in his and traced light patterns on my hand with his thumb. "You shouldn't feel that way." He said taking a deep breath and biting his lip. I stepped back a minute and stared out into the city. "It's so beautiful at night." I said sighing. He nodded but said nothing. He put his arm around me and pulled me gently into his side. I felt myself melt into him and I listened to his comforting soft heart beat. And in that moment, I realized I wouldn't lose him. "Let's do something I've always wanted to do." He said holding my hand and dragging me off of the balcony. We took the elevator down from the restaurant and swam through the ocean of bodies. We finally got out into an empty space. "Where are we going Jeremy?" I asked over the loud talking. "Just follow me..." he yelled back continuing to pull me along. We ran from crowd to crowd until he pulled us into an alley. "Why are we here?" I asked. "Shhhh!!" He warned. I nodded scared but I trusted him. We followed the endless brick buildings surrounding us until we came to an open spot. He started to crawl into the hole. "Where does that lead to?" I asked nervously. "You'll see. You'll be safe." He said out stretching his hand. I took it cautiously and followed him through the hole in the wall. I could see light not to far away. We climbed out of the hole into another building. It looked like an older building. The room led to a flight of stairs. We ran down them and Jeremy put his hands over my eyes. He walked me out into a room. He removed his hands and I opened my eyes. I gasped. It was the old theatre we used to come to all the time. "Wow." I breathed not being able to form a word. "It looks just the same." He said smiling. I nodded grinning. I forgot about this place. "I found that entrance a few years ago and I kept it a secret. I've been dying to find someone to share it with." He said. "Well why haven't you showed anyone else?" I asked. "Because. No one else was special enough to see it." He said grinning. I blushed. "Do you remember the first time we came here and you said you wished you could dance on stage?" He asked. I blushed and laughed. "Yes. I remember that." I said nodding. "Well, now'a your chance." He said reaching out for my hand. I took his and we danced.