Introduction

[EDITED]

The night in Switzerland was quiet and peaceful for the doctor. The sound of crickets were the only company that she managed to get while she was still working on her unfinished work. Paperworks were scattered on the floor along with some other papers that she didn't bother to look, and she was scribbling something under the dim light of her table lamp. Eye bags were visibly seen on her pale face that made her looked like a skinny panda on dehydration. She couldn't sleep in the past few days, and insomnia started to drain her energy due to the lack of sleep. The nightmares were still haunting her. The day of the explosion came fresh into her mind like it had happened yesterday. She wanted to forget. She needed distraction. But all she could do to distract herself was scribbling unnecessary things on a piece of paper that would end up in a trash bin. Her golden hair was dishevelled and she was biting the tip of her pen, looking at the paperwork she was working on. The nightmare still lingered in her mind, etching itself at the back of her head. She shook the dreadful thought away and tried to focus on the papers.

Unfortunately, it was no use. She couldn't get her mind off on that same nightmare she had. The smell of death was so strong and so real until she could still smell it right through her nostrils. The image of a familiar body was crushed underneath a huge rubble, smoke and dust were disrupting her good vision. She could still remember the cold feeling from the lifeless vessel when she touch the skin. All sense of life was already drained completely from his face. Her eyes already welled in tears when she called out his name, hoping for an answer, or maybe just a small grin from his face, telling her that it was just a sick joke he was acting. But she knew that was just impossible. Next thing she knew, she felt something rolled down on her pale cheek. She swiped it off using the back of her hand and discovered it was a stray tear.

"Get a grip of yourself, Angela! You can't do anything about it!" She told herself, while giving a few soft slaps on her cheeks, trying to cheer herself up. Countless times she tried to remind herself the same thing, yet it ended up useless in the end.

She decided to stop looking at her paperwork since it was already pointless; and stood up from her chair to get to bed. Although it would considered impossible, she needed sleep so badly. She already had a few sleepless nights and she could use at least a cat nap just to get some energy for toworrow's work. She turned off her table lamp and went to bed which was located behind her work desk. She plomped herself down on the comfy bed and rested an arm on her forehead, staring at the white ceiling. Her thoughts drifted to a stray memory which no one knew except her. The memory where she first tested her nanotechnology on someone that she cared so deeply. Until now, she never knew whether it worked or not. She knew there were difficulties while she was doing that test due to the little malfunction of the nanobots that she found in the lab from the building. But she was desperate to save him even though it was clearly too late for her. She couldn't think straight when she saw his half-disoriented body fell limp on the concrete floor and make a quick decision to save him now. Before she could see her nanobots to kick in, Reinhardt already found her in the building and quickly took her out without looking anything else or even hear her pleas. She sighed heavily after reminiscing on that sour memory.

She closed her eyes, still hoping until now that her attempt worked, and he was alive and moving out there. The news of his missing body crushed her, but it gave her hope that her nanobots were working. She had that strong feeling that he was out there, living and breathing like she hoped he would. All she needed was a sign, a proof, that he is still alive.

She needed to find him.

She gave out a yawn before her eyes fluttered to sleep.

-----------------

She woke up early in the morning and gave out a tired yawn. It wasn't a contented sleep, but at least the nightmare seized for now and she felt a bit better than before. She shuffled towards the edge of her bed and swing her legs down to let her feet touch the cold floor. Autumn was about to end and Winter is coming soon. She shivered when her bare feet touched the cold floor and slowly stood up on her legs when she managed to adapt the coldness on her feet. She shuffled her way to the bathroom to freshen up for a good start. The sounds of flowing water came out when she turned the faucet on the sink and started cupping the cold water in her hands before she splashed it on her face. Her eyes were wide awake and she reached out for her toothbrush. A good hot shower would lighten things up, she thought. So she started undressing by pulling off her favorite shirt first, followed by her shorts. Then she removed all the undergaments before she stepped into the shower place and closed the glass door behind her. She turned both knobs so that she could get the perfect temperature. The water from the shower head rained down onto her figure and she was enjoying the sooth feeling she was getting. The water cascaded down from her hair to the end of her toes, soothing her nerves and washing out all the negative feelings and auras from her body.