Chapter 19: Yes Father

Andrew returned a few minutes later and handed me a bag.

"I hope a cheeseburger and fries are OK."

I laughed, "Perfectly fine with me."

He smiled, "Good." I ate my food mostly in silence, Andrew doing the same. He seemed less worried now that I was able to say a few words without trouble.

When I was finished, Andrew spoke up. "So, are you feeling better now that you've eaten?"

I nodded, offering him a small smile.

"I'm glad," he returned the smile warmly and moved to sit directly beside me. I leaned against the bed frame and continued to smile at him. His expression changed to one of seriousness, "Are you going to tell me what really happened?"

My eyes widened in surprise of his question before I regained myself and tried to smile. "It was nothing."

"You're lying, Alli," By the way he was looking at me I knew there was no fooling him.

"It's just...I don't want you to worry. It isn't worth it. It was ridiculous anyways."

"Please tell me."

I knew then he wasn't going to budge on the issue. I sighed, "Alright."

I paused for a moment, trying to think of the right thing to say. "I guess you could say I'm kind of...self-conscious. I got a phone call, from my Mom, and well she wasn't very happy with me giving me Jake the cold shoulder." I looked at the wooden floor, embarrassed.

I wasn't surprised when he lifted my chin with his index finger.

I cleared my throat and continued, "So she told me I should be more like my older sister." I flinched as if expecting to be slapped.

"You're who you are and no one can change that. I'm sure she didn't mean it," his eyes were searching mine.

My eyes returned to the floor, "But you don't know her."

"I'm sure she didn't mean it," he repeated stubbornly.

"I guess...I mean I guess you could be right," I tried to sound hopeful. He didn't say more, just smiled gently at me. I heard the nickering of horses outside and turned to look out the window, excitement brightening my eyes.

"Your horses. Can we ride?" I immediately tried to get up from the bed. He pressed my shoulders back before I could stand up.

"Are you crazy? You just woke up from sleeping in the forest."

I smiled mischievously. "So?"

He raised his hands in defeat. "Alright, you may go see the horses," my eyes brightened further and he noticed, "but you may not ride."

I fell back against the head board and whined like a child who wanted two scoops of icecream. "But Andrew, I'll be fine. I want to ride."

An amused chuckle came from him, "I know you want to, but it just isn't a good idea."

"Yes father," I said sarcastically, giving him a playful glare.

"That's my good girl," he played the part.

"I am not your girl, and I am not good," I used extra emphasis on the nots.

Andrew hefted a light laugh and stood. "We might as well get this over with." Andrew crossed the room and turned to watch me expectantly.

I wobbled to my feet, repressing a happy giggle. "You're the best."

Andrew reached down and took my hand in his, mindful of the wrapping that hid my scratches and bruises from view.

I must look hideous. The thought came to my mind, but I quickly forgot and offered him a bashful smile when he gave my hand a gentle squeeze, obviously bringing me back to earth. Andrew's lips twitched upward in a handsome smile and he led me out to the barn.

The smell of horses and hay gave me an excited energy that caused me to forget about the pain that was travelling up and down my legs like a jolting electricity. I hid the discomfort behind a bright smile. I released Andrew's hand and moved instantly towards Annarose.

"You're as beautiful as ever, girl," I cooed softly to the pretty mare and ran my hand down her neck. Annarose responded with a soft nicker and a flick of her ears.

I turned to Andrew who was watching me with a thoughtful smile on his face. I ignored it and asked quietly, "How do you do all of this alone? Take care of your horses and Uncle Rob's cows?"

At the mention of being alone, Andrew's eyes darkened but a forced smile proved he didn't want to talk about his feelings. "It's just something you have to do, you know?" He moved to stand directly beside me and stroked Annarose's neck. The horse's eyes lit with recognition and she whinnied happily.

"I...well, I guess," my voice was laced with uncertainty.

He moved to the next stall; his horse Raider stood as rigid as normal. The horse shook his head and his ears perked forward despite his stony posture.

"How ya doing Raider?" Andrew said in a gentle tone and the horse responded with a quiet whinny.

I stood watching Andrew interact with his horse before he returned to my side, noting the pained look in my eyes. The daggers that were stabbing up and down my legs and piercing my arms were causing me to grimace.

"You should sit down," Andrew said quietly, telling more than asking, as he lowered me to the ground where all the hay was stored. He sat down beside me, watching my every move.

"Thanks," was all I murmured and leaned back against a block of hay. Andrew joined me, eyes never leaving me. "I'm okay, Andrew."

"No you're not." His expression was serious.

"Okay, maybe I wasn't, but I'll be fine now."

"I think I should take you to the doctor."

I sat up in a rush, sending a shocked pain up my legs. Taking in a shaky gasp, I turned to him. "No, I won't go there again. You can't take me there again. You don't understand."

At the thought of returning to that hospital bed, my thoughts became overrided with fear. Being in that place for that long had scared me enough. I had almost died there.

Andrew closed the space between us and wrapped his arms around me. I released the frightened breath I had been holding ever since my plea.

"I won't take you to the doctor, Alli. But you have to promise me something."

I didn't look up at him, but murmured, "What?"

"You'll be careful from now on. I don't want you hurt again."

The stable grew silent as if even the horses were waiting for my reply. "I promise." I meant every word I said. I wasn't about to break a promise I made to the boy I had fallen in love with.

Andrew's grip tightened around me and I leaned against him, ignoring the constant pain in my legs. Nothing could be better than being here with Andrew now. The familar fragrance of his cologne proved my medicine as the conciousness of the pain in my leg ebbed away and all I could think of was his gentle embrace.

His sweet, deep voice, his soothing fragrance, his gentle embrace--they only reminded me that our summer together wouldn't last forever.