Chapter 11: And Eye for an Eye

Hermione's POV

"Are you feeling okay, Gin?" I asked my friend once breakfast had ended.

She turned reluctantly to me, smiling. "I'm perfect, Hermione," she said brightly, putting her arm around me, "Are you ready to go?"

I nodded, getting up from my bench, my three friends doing the same. Ginny skipped along, pulling me with her as I had to break into a fast walk to keep up with her. "We should go for a walk later!" Ginny exclaimed, "Around the grounds. After classes, hmm?"

I raised an eyebrow. "And you're sure you're alright?" I asked her, dumbfounded at her uncharacteristically optimistic attitude.

(A/N That was a really big sentence, Lol)

She nodded. "Exceptional," was her response as she went before me and held the Hall doors open for Ron, Harry, and I.

I wasn't particularly convinced; I hadn't seen her this excited since she and Fred had planted that exploding snap under Ron's pillow at the burrow and were waiting for him to go to bed and discover it.

Ron and Harry turned to us both, stopping us. "We need to go down to the quidditch pitch," Harry explained.

"When will you guys be back?" I asked, and Harry shrugged.

"An hour, maybe two," he said.

I nodded, and Ginny proceeded to pull me down the corridor as the two boys went the other way. "Do you think anyone will ask us to the ball?" Ginny asked me all of a sudden, and I shrugged.

"I don't know," I admitted, "But I think I plan on going alone."

She gasped. "You can't go alone to a ball!" She exclaimed, and I shook my head.

"What about you, then?" I asked, bringing the subject of conversation off of me.

She smirked. "You can't tell anyone," she started, and I raised an eyebrow, "I was hoping that Malfoy would ask me! But it won't happen, he's a year older and since the train he hasn't talked to me."

She frowned to herself, but my mouth hung open slightly. "Are you-" I brought my voice down, "Are you serious? I thought you were kidding when you made it look like you liked him a few weeks ago."

She shook her head and looked down the hallway as we walked, holding her books tighter to her chest. "I would hate for you to be disappointed, then," I said earnestly, even though I truthfully wanted to gag.

"It's just-"

She stopped when we heard footsteps approaching through the silent halls toward us. We both whipped around toward the noise as two men clad in Slytherin robes stepped out slowly. "Speak of the devil," I mumbled, but Ginny smiled.

It was Malfoy and Blaise, the apparently inseparable pair. "Hello Blaise," I nodded curtly to my friend.

"Hermione," he nodded back, but didn't begin to explain why the two of them had followed us.

"Hello Granger," Malfoy started smugly, taking a step forward.

I frowned. "Can I help you?" I raised an eyebrow, and Malfoy seemed confused at my distasteful reply, and gave his friend a brief sideways glance.

I could have said a lot worse than that, I mused. "I-I," he stuttered, but didn't finish, turning to his friend.

"Hi Malfoy," Ginny giggled behind me, still smiling.

I looked at my friend, horrified, and the Slytherin she had adressed did the same, his skin becoming even more white than usual, which I thought might have been an overreaction. Ginny isn't that bad, I thought. Malfoy didn't reply, but instead looked to Blaise, his expression laced with panic.