Six: Reunions/PART TWO

The glow of the pendant kept me up the entire night; it's heat scorched my skin, and so did the heat from Castiel's. His arms were limp around my waist, and even his closeness wasn't enough for the nervousness gnawing in my stomach.

I lay still, barely blinking in the darkness, the lumpy mattress underneath us uncomfortable. I miss my bed.

When I finally do manage to sleep, I dream of darkness. Nightmares consume me, and I dream of Tartarus, of Harley still falling down down down. I dream of Xavier falling with her, screaming my name, and I cannot jump in after him. Castiel is shoved in by Zeus, and Jasmine and Oscar watch, laughing as they wave at him. A scream rises in my throat, and I jolt awake, breathing hard.

Castiel was gone.

But Xavier was lounging on the other bed, sipping Starbucks coffee. The smell invaded my nostrils, and I drink in the sight of him. Am I still dreaming? Early morning sunlight filters through the open windows. My mouth feels dry. His name is on my lips. "Xavier." It barely comes out a whisper. How did Castiel know where Xavier was, but I couldn't find him?

Xavier was dressed in a dark gray t-shirt, and shorts. His dark hair was tousled, and wind blown, and his gray-green eyes sparkle when they see me. "Good morning, Princess." My old nickname.

I move to embrace him, and he wraps his arms around me. He smells like honey and blood, and coffee. I want to kiss him. Tears build in my eyes, and I forget ever being angry at him. I can't find words. I can't back away from him, for fear that I'll lose him, again. Castiel smells like home. But being in Xavier's arms feels like home. He doesn't want to let me go, either. But as a toliet flushes, he slowly lets go of me, taking a step back towards his bed.

"I missed you." He whispers. "I'm sorry."

I feel the ghost of a smile peeking up on my lips. Heat creeps up my cheeks. Even with his skin brushing mine, I feel the desire to kiss him. I see the same desire in his eyes. But I know why he doesn't. Not yet, anyway.

Castiel leaves the bathroom a few seconds later. He's still wearing boxers, and brushing his teeth. "Morning, Lovebirds." Where was King?

          "Good morning." I say quietly. Xavier isn't as polite. But he doesn't miss the heat creeping up in my cheeks. Fuck. Xavier returns to sitting on the bed, the strong and silent type, his eyes speaking louder than words. He gazes between Castiel and I as he sips his coffee.

          "Am I missing something?" He asks.

           "Not at all. I was just about to discuss browsing for engagement rings with my betrothed, here. I'm nothing but proper, you know." Castiel flashes me a small, tempting smile, daring me to interrupt him or call him on his bullshit. This is my punishment. I glance at Xavier. Our punishment.

           Xavier snorts. A look of hurt flashes into his eyes. "Since when?" He asks, laughing. He points at the wall of flash card whereabouts. "We don't have time for that, Prince of Darkness."

           Castiel rolls his eyes, and moves back to the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind him. I flinch.

            "I can't believe you're still going through with this." Xavier says quietly.

           "Who said I still am?" I whisper back.

           His eyes shine brightly with hope. A lump of guilt forms in my throat, weighing me down as Xavier gets back to his feet. He's filled with purpose now. He sets down his coffee, and kisses me. His lips feel hot. Unspoken words and apologies pass through us. This is dangerous. His very touch makes me want more of him. I pull him closer, his hands fitting perfectly against my waist. I don't want our kids to end. Not yet. But Xavier leans away first. "We've got to wait for our reunion." he whispers.