Twenty: Negotiations

The second the contents were empty, Xavier collapses and they goblet rolls over the edge of Tartarus. I feel so weak. I don't pay attention to the flurry of voices that touch my ears. I let the tears escape, and completely fall in front of them. I'm afraid to look up, and I don't have to.

I don't know how much time has passed, but eventually, Xander is untying me, and his arms are around me, holding me up and supporting me. I feel my body shaking. Xander doesn't need to say anything. He silently hugs me, and I stay in his arms, arms that feel so much like Xavier's that it's scary. It's scary to think I could never be in his arms, again.

Unless he regains his memory, your marriage will be null and void. I could still feel my body shaking with sobs, still couldn't look at Xavier without having another breakdown. Would her be okay? Castiel touches Xander's back. "I need a moment with her, Reyes. We'll meet you at the boat." There was a sternness to Castiel's voice that hadn't been there before; a hungry fire in his eyes.

Xander glances at me. "Will you be okay?"

There's something strange that passes between us. Family protecting family. My brother as well as Xavier's. I nod slowly, glancing towards Xavier as the last few remaining guards lift his body and carry him towards the boat. "I'll be fine," I look back at Xander. "N
Just take care of your brother."

Lola was talking quietly with Hades and Zeus as they walk away, which left Castiel and I momentarily alone. It's the first time we've been alone together since the hotel room incident. I can feel my cheeks going hot under his piercing gaze.

"When I woke up kissing Lola, you were the first girl I thought about... I was disappointed when I saw that you didn't wake me up. But that's exactly what we needed, and you've dared two help me more than anyone ever has. I had to punish you both; and if ever there is the slightest chance Xavier could regain his memory, I'll bring you on year round. You can be with him whenever you'd like."

Castiel was born to be a God. He now carried himself with more sass and confidence than he ever has before. He's so sure of himself, and there's a fire in his eyes that hasn't been there before. I unhook myself from his embrace, and he plants a small, burning kiss on my cheek.

"I just wish it didn't have to be this way." I whisper, my voice barely audible over the Tartarus screams. I turn away before Castiel can stop me.

When we return to the boat, I let Xavier's head rest in my lap. My fingers move through his unruly hair, soft and slightly curly today, and I can't look down without tearing up. His PM's have entirely faded, leaving his skin very pale, a clean plate. His Judgement has also faded. But our necklaces are still scorching hot, and they'll let him keep our wedding ring and the necklace. Everything is numb and cold.

Hades and Zeus are talking very low. Castiel and Lola are submerged in quiet conversation. Everything is numb, and flat. David occasionally glances over towards me, as if afraid I'll finally crack under his gaze. Xander is closest to us, and also more quiet than he's ever been before. He refuses to look up.

We make a side stop for David; and he is made to wait inside the boat. He grits his teeth, sitting on the very edge of his seat. I wish there was something I could say to try and calm his nerves. But he's getting the love of his life back. I never will.

Charon looked on edge as well. We've traveled to the field of punishment, and the boat is waiting at the edge of the dock. There's a huge hill that leads to a see-through door. And on the other side? Flat nothingness and no one. Hades and Zeus disappear upon entering it. I stare, and David stands, although Charon won't let him leave the boat. I play with Xavier's hair, touching his face and memorizing every inch of it.