Twenty Two: Punishment

The hideout was easy enough to find, and I quickly slide my all access card and slip inside, closing the door quietly behind me. The light flicks on automatically, and the smell of marijuana greets my nostrils.

       “Fancy seeing you here, sweetheart.” Victor. He used to be one of Castiel's little lackey's. He's got a thick russian accent, and daunting brown eyes. I watch as they move up and down my body. He laughs, although there's nothing funny about my expression. “Shame about your new position, and your marital status. It looks like Xavier won't be around much to protect you anymore.” Was that a threat?

       He was lounging in Castiel's favorite moth-eaten bean-bag chair, holding a joint in one hand. He coughs and coughs and secretly I hope a lung will come with it. He rises slowly to come and face me.

        “The prince's ex betrothed. Oh, it will be a pleasure to see you in the bath house.” He has me backed up against the door, and I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping he'll just go away. “Look at that beautiful fear in your eyes... Baby, you haven't seen anything yet. I will make your legs quiver and shake until you scream for mercy. Just wait, darlin. The awful, fun things I have in mind for us... And the best part? The prince won't be able to help you and your husband can't help you either.”

       The prince really needs new friends.

      “Get off of me!” I growl. But this fight will quickly become futile. I'm trapped.

        “Make me.”

         I punched him, and punched him again and kicked him in the skull once he was down. I kick him again just to make sure, and I can feel my breath shaking so bad that it's hard to breath. I pick up the joint from Victor's limp hand, and can see the blood running down his forehead.

        I place it between my lips, and dig for the phone in the bottom drawer of Castiel's dresser. Bingo. It's right where he said it would be, and with shaking fingers, I dial Knox's number, occasionally glancing down at Oscar's limp body.

        I snuff the joint out and listen to the phone as ot rings. Please, please pick up wherever the hell you may be.

        A grisly end.

        “You got your miracle,” Thank the gods. “this is Knox.”

        I could feel my cheeks getting hot. “Hi,” I begin awkwardly. “Y-you left your number for me at the wedding.”

        “I'm a busy man, darling. Which wedding?”

         “Reyes.”

          “Ah, yes. Ariel Reyes – I was expecting your call. I assume you took care of Victor?” I shiver, and my stomach churns. How would he have known about Victor, unless – “Of course you did. Otherwise we wouldn't be speaking right now. In ten seconds, you'll need to kick him again to make sure he stays asleep.”

        Ten seconds pass, and when a small moan leaves Victor's lips, I kick him again.

        “Now lock the door.”

         I lock the door to the hideout.

         “Has your husband met his grisly end, yet?” There was a hint in his voice that suggests he already. “I suppose that's why you've called Mrs Reyes.” I fiddle with the wedding ring on my finger.

        “He was made to drink from the River of Lethe. He can't remember anything. He can't remember me.”

        There was a shrill scream in the background. Knox shouted in another language, and then a shotgun blast echoes. The scream has gone quiet, and there was shuffling as I could hear Knox moving his phone from ear to ear. “Look, Reyes. The nectar of the gods may be enough to help get part of Xavier's memory back. I can get it. But I charge a great deal, and I know you cannot offer me any money.”