Seventeen: Lies & Smiles

"You mean, you're not coming with us?" Jasmine's voice tinged with fear. Her eyes are wide. She's got the watch back on her wrist, and it's programmed for the sanctuary. She'll spend a day in the sanctuary with Poseidon, and I shiver as I think about what he could do to her in those twenty four hours.

          Jasmine must know this too. In the past forty eight hours, I have seen Oscar and Jasmine's weak sides. They make each other weak, just like Xavier does with me. She really does care about him. I would hate to see her reaction when they're reunited. If they get reunited.

           "I'll be there as soon as I can," I assure her. "Poseidon is a very genuine host." After all, he allowed us to be married, even after all the horrid things he's done to Oscar. I lean close to her. "Don't be afraid."

          "Alright, children. This party is over. Let's do this. We've got offenders to interrogate, things to do, people to torture." Ares grabs Jasmine by the back of her neck. I don't feel bad. I should say something, but I don't. I don't. Jasmine lets out a small whimper as Ares grabs her, and I watch.

          I watch as they simultaneously press the buttons on their watches. I watch as the floor meets and cracks and swirls with color before I'm blinded, and no one is standing in their place. The hotel room is empty. I'm here alone, and there's a harsh lump in my throat. I squeeze my eyes shut, and pray that these next twenty four hours go fast.

       The watch is set for Persephone's meadow. I don't know it's exact location, but it appears to be somewhere near Greece. All I must do is follow Poseidon's exact directions so that Xavier and I could escape punishment. If I do, Castiel will be Awoken, and Hades and Persephone will no longer be poisoned.

          I have to do this.

          Before I left the sanctuary, Poseidon had packed a backpack for me. The walkie is in a side pocket. There are two special canisters and a glass case for Castiel's flowers. I keep the knife in my back pocket, and cleaned it shiny again. Since Jasmine has gone to the sanctuary, the walkie has gone silent.

          I can't wait any longer.

          I swing the bag over my shoulders, and press the button on the watch.

          As it always has before, the floor begins to melt and vibrate. It felt like quick sand. The hotel room fades around me as the floor around me melts and I swirl with colors inside the portal.

           Collapsing against a dirt ground, my arm cracks and I double over in pain. Every time I travel by the watch, it makes me sick. My stomach churns, and through the pain, I resist the urge to be sick. A moan leaves my lips, and tears burn my eyes. I cough and cough, and can't feel anything in my arm. I can't move it.

          "You'd better not get sick in my daughter's meadow."

          I can feel my breath catch in my throat. My vision spins, and when it finally settled, I can see a woman in a cage in the center of a gorgeous meadow.

         The meadow was beautiful. Wind kisses the back of my neck. The flowers around the meadow were gorgeous and brilliant and colorful, and the sun was high and brilliant, a thin bead of sweat already forming on my forehead.  There was a fountain with golden water. And in the center of the meadow, was a cage.

        The cage held an aging, older woman, and the bars of her cage were frozen over with snow and ice. She was in an old-fashioned, Greek dress, and has long dark hair. She and Persephone have the same fierce look. There are unlit torches around the meadow. Demeter. She's been here in this cage the entire time. I let out a small breath. "Castiel was trying to find you... "