Twenty Six: Favorite Places

KNOX'S BEACH
CASTIEL'S POV

I sit on the sand, watching the waves as they fall and crash against the shore, goosebumps rising on my arms as the wind picks up. It was nearly 7 when the sun went down, and it was almost 10 before our little family reunion died down to give me enough leeway to escape. I wanted to see the moon, so full and orange, and the twinkling stars that were winking down upon us.

      I find myself wishing that Ariel was here with me. I wonder what kind of shit storm is happening in the Underworld. I shiver.

       My heart still echoes and beats in my ears and I only have mom to thank for that one. "I'm sorry dad," I find myself mumbling. "But I don't want to die in the Underworld." Could he hear me? Could any of the Gods? There was nothing but water as far as the eye could see. Where were we? There was no location on the watch, which made me believe Knox created this paradise/hideaway for the three of us. "I can't be a God like you."

       This watch is the only thing connecting me to the outside world. Its the only thing left from the Underworld.

        "What are you doing out here all by your lonesome?" Blair was walking over in my direction. "You know, Knox is planning one hell of a party in there."

       "A party... why?"

        "To celebrate your homecoming, of course." That sounded like bullshit. My eyes travel to the barcode on her wrist. I wonder if those are like the wires mom uses to spy on on our servants. I look back at the dark waves as she comes to sit beside me and sigh.

       I bring my knees up to my chest, "I think this is one party I want to sit out on. It doesn't feel like home anymore than the Underwood did."

        Blair shows me her favorite spot tonight. It's out back by the garden, and I don't think I've ever seen a place so beautiful. I think of bringing one of these red roses to Ariel, and thoughts of the Underworld now warp through my mind. But the rose would be dead long before I could get it to her.

       "What are you thinking about?" She asks.

       “How pretty you are, of course.” I nudge her a little. “And how you got here . . . I've been thinking about a lot lately. None of this makes any sense. The colors, my dad, everything.”

        Blair smiles. “I told you, just give him a chance. You'll like him once you get to know him,” She's so confident and she seems like one of the real ones. “And I can't tell you why I'm here.”

        “You can't or you won't?” I ask.

         “It's complicated,” She says. “I got into a fair amount of trouble last year and Knox rescued me. If it weren't for him I might not be here having this conversation with you,” I instantly look over, slipping my arms around her. “It happened at a high-end club last year. Knox and Adonis — your half brother — were there, but they blended in so well that they were invisible. I was fourteen days shy of getting married. It was my bachelorette party, so a bunch of girls took me out to celebrate and . . . and, I don't know. I guess they thought they were paying a male stripper. But someone slipped something into my drink, and followed me into the bathroom. Your half-brother saved me, and they brought me back here. I didn't have the courage I needed to leave, so they accepted me as family and offered me employment here.”

         “That guy . . . do you know where he is? What he looks like?” Anger churns through my veins but I try not to let it show on my face as Blaire tells her story.

        She lets me hold her close and shakes her head. “He was in Vancouver last, but he's long gone Castiel.” Blaire leans her head into my chest, and closes her eyes. “I shouldn't even be here with you.”

         “I don't care what Knox thinks, or my mother, or the other servants he has working here — ”

         She leans away from me, and I drop my arms from around her. “But I do,” Blaire says. “It may look beautiful and real. But this is madness. Make sure you keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. Please make sure that watch hidden here, because only four of us on this island know you have it, and there are people here . . . bad people, that would do anything to take away what's yours. Misery loves company.”

        “It sure does,” I say. “Blaire, wait.” I stand up to face her as she gets up to go. “I'm sorry. Look, I may not always say or do the right thing, but I'm trying. That counts for something, right?” I look up at Knox's dark house and then back at her, her beautiful green eyes . . . “You don't have to tell me anything that makes you uncomfortable. Will you let me kiss you at least once before you go inside?”

         “I want to but — ”

          I inch slowly closer to her, careful with my touch. Her skin feels soft and I run my fingers over her jawline and her lips. “But nothing Blaire,” I whisper. “you have nothing to be afraid of when you're with me. I promise.”

        Blaire gazes into my eyes, looks at my lips and closes the last few inches of space between us. She tastes like strawberries, and her lips are full and sweet. I want more of her when she leans away, but I don't kiss her. I can't. She's breathing slightly hard but her smile is unmistakable. I kiss the spot beside her lips, no longer thinking of Lola or Ariel or the Underworld.

       “I s-should go,” Blaire says, our foreheads still pressed against each other. “Our lead takes count every evening before lights out. I can't be late again.”

        “I'll walk with you.”