Twenty Four: Immortality Part TWO

Dawn came much too quickly.

       Persephone silently escorts me to her study; four stylists wait excitedly for me, and the only dress I see is the same Greek white dress I first wore here. Their fingers in my hair, rubbing lotions into my skin, manicuring my nails — all of it gives me anxiety. Every one of my thoughts moves back towards Xavier, and what might happen to Castiel once he leaves the Underworld.

         Persephone watches me quietly.

         When the stylists are finished, my makeup is light and beautiful. My hair has been delicately braided and newly fake acrylic nails have been polished and painted pink. The stylists take their silent leave, and I can hear them gushing over just how beautiful I looked and how this ceremony is going to be so amazing.

         "Are you nervous?" Persephone asks.

         I stare at myself in the mirror she had installed for the day; it was right against the closed door and I stood cautiously away from it. I meet her gaze in the mirror and nod. You couldn't hide anything from Persephone. "A little."

         "Would you like a little wine before our departure? Takes the edge off... And you look so pale, darling. Come sit." She urges me towards the leather couches, and when I sit I watch her as she goes to pour her favorite wine.  That's when the door opens, it's Castiel that comes in and I forget about the comfortable couch and this wine.

         Castiel comes to embrace me.

         He wraps his arms around me and I wrap mine around him. I always loved how much he smells like the Underworld; how warm his body feels against mine, the invisible thread that has always connected us together. With one wordless embrace, every silent thought passes between us and tears well in my eyes.

        "I can't believe you're leaving." I whisper, and we don't care that we're in the presence of his mother. This is his last day in the Underworld. This is his last morning alive. I've always loved listening to his heartbeat; those two nights we slept in the same bed... his heart filled every silence of a darkened room. And today it would stop. He wants me to feel the last human bit of him.

He separates our embrace first, and there's a sadness in his eyes that lingers a little too long. "Take care of yourself, won't you?" His fingers brush against my face. I shiver. Why does this feel like goodbye? "Promise me you won't get into too much trouble while I'm gone."

I could feel the tears building up in my eyes, and I couldn't help it when they spill over. I embrace him again. "You know I can't promise that," He holds me closer. Tighter. His warmth envelopes me. I don't want to get tears all over his cashmere sweater. I don't want to let him go. "I'm gonna miss you."

"Come on, Caverly. Don't get all mushy on me now..." He still holds me close even when we move apart. But I can see the sadness spill over with unwelcome tears. "I don't think you know how badly I wish that you could come with me. If it was your kiss that woke me up, it would have made the Underworld a little brighter."

I didn't want to fight with him. The burning urge to ask selfish questions is ringing and echoing in my thoughts. Something familiar passes between us. He's leaving, and deep inside I know that he won't come back without a fight. Castiel didn't know that Hades wasn't his real father. But I don't think he would want to. He adored being the only fabricated Prince of Darkness. The truth would soon come out, and the aching need within me wants to be with him when he finds out.

Persephone interrupts, coming between each of us with a glass of wine. It was easy to forget that she was here with us. "No ruining Mrs Reyes makeup," she quickly recovered. But there was something else. Something she was still keeping secret. "Drink up you two. We'll have breakfast when we return. The other gods have already arrived. But we can make them wait just a little while longer."