Welcome to DCS

-2nd Grade, S.Y 2010-11-

I don't remember much when I came to DCS. But here's what I can recall.

After my mom takes a picture of my brother and I in our new uniforms, we head over to our new classrooms. We had just moved in from California, so I was pretty freaked out about my surroundings. My mom had already dropped off my brother at his classroom when we arrived at the second grade classroom. I walked in and I saw so many unfamiliar faces. I think I was expecting to see at least one familiar face, but now that I think back at it, I'm not sure why. 

Anyways, I'm a hundred percent sure that I hid behind my mom when my classmates turned around to look at me. They didn't know who I was, and vice versa. My teacher came up to my mom and started talking to her. My mom found my teacher was also Filipino, so they started to chat for a bit. Between their conversation, my teacher showed me to where I would sit. I sat at my desk and the girl in front of me turned around.

I don't remember what she said to me, but I imagine it went like this:

"Hi, my name is Maria! Are you new?" She said to me.

"Yes, I came from California." I replied shyly.

"Wow! What's your name?"

"I'm Simmi."

"You have really long hair!" (At the time, my hair almost reached my butt.)

And that my friends was my first friend from DCS. But she soon transferred schools for middle school.

I really don't recall anything else from the first day. But what I will always remember is for at least the next week or so, I always cried and made the excuse that my stomach was hurting. I'm not very sure why, but I assume it was because I was homesick. I missed my best friend from California and my old school. But little did I know how far I would come with DCS. Because of my problem, I was very close to transferring, but the other schools either I didn't like or my parents didn't like.