Chapter 15: Endgame

Halt was awake, that much he knew. But from what he could hear, he didn't know if he wanted to open his eyes.

He fluttered his eyelashes as a cool, early evening breeze brushed against his face. It felt uncannily like his mother's hand gently stroking his cheek when he was little to help him go to sleep... But then again, maybe he was just hallucinating. Then all at once, the pain hit. Every bone in his body ached and burned from falling out of the tree. The huge open cut on his hand stung sharply in the cool air and his ribs throbbed where the harness had bit into his torso. He was lying on his back, and his hands were tied tightly together in front of him with a thick piece of new rope. He tried to flex his wrists, but winced as the cut on his hand oozed out fresh blood. His ankles were also tied together over his boots, and the familiar weight of his knives and quiver were gone. He moved his head just the tiniest bit, and immediately felt the knot on the back of his head from hitting a branch on his way down. The small movement made his vision flash red again, but he forced his eyes to move under his lids. The light overhead was patchy and dappled, but getting progressively dimmer. The leaves rustled around him, and somewhere nearby there was a large river. Maybe they're gone, Halt thought. Maybe these blasted Temujai thought I was out cold so they left me here. What if I could just escape now? But as his awareness expanded and adjusted to his surroundings, he could just pick up the sound of voices. There had to be at least six of them nearby, speaking in low tones. Halt knew there had to be more of them around than that, but for now, with his eyes closed, it was hard to tell. So much for escape.

After lying there for a few moments in peace, he heard one of the men say in a louder voice, "Alright, that's enough. I know you're awake, Ranger. You've been up for a while, and I think you've wasted enough of our time." Halt heard his footsteps crunch through the leaves as he walked over right next to where Halt lay. "Open your eyes, or I'll kick you in the ribs."

Oh no. Kicking in the ribs right now would not be good. I have too many bruises there already. Guess it couldn't hurt to take a peak. He reluctantly peeled open his eyes, and even the dim light filtering through the branches above him was too much for his concussed senses. He couldn't help but wince and writhe, and the Tem'uj laughed.

"Rise and shine, Ranger. There's someone here who wants to talk to you."

Halt felt two men grab his arms, and he clenched his teeth as they dragged him to his teeth. Every single bone and muscle in his body fiercely protested the movement, and Halt struggled not to pass out from the pain. He felt his feet finally find their footing, and he cracked his eyes open again. It was now mid evening, and the dim forest around them was sparse. He could just make out a drop off a few hundred yards to their right, where the rock sloped into a steep, jagged cliff, and a river whooshed down at the bottom. He blinked over and over, struggling to make his eyes focus, but his head had been hit too hard. All he could make out was a blur of colors and people. Two of the Tem'uj had hauled him to his feet, and now he was standing, leaning heavily on them. Another figure was walking towards him. He caught a flash of blood red on what he assumed was the man's arm. It's Or'kan, he thought. The Sha'shan's son. The one who wants to kill Will. And me.

"Welcome, Ranger, to our humble aboad. Or should I say, campsite."

Or'kan's voice was deep and thick and gravelly. His very body seemed to rumble when he spoke. Or maybe that was just Halt's head pounding and his ears throbbing. Who knows at this point whether I'm witnessing reality or simply some dream I'm inventing for myself. Or maybe I died. Maybe I'm in the afterlife. Halt's stream of thought paused for a moment. It this is the afterlife, then it's sure as hell not what I was expecting.

Halt couldn't top squinting, although his vision was getting better. He could now make out Or'kan's face. "I would say your campsites are anything but humble. I've been observing them for the past few days. That large bonfire you always light? Not very humble, if you ask me."