CHAPTER 6

In Toronto, the Five Families held weekly meetings at the Bisha Hotel. Every week in the most prestigious suite, five representatives, one from each family gathered to discuss business amongst the family. The Bosses felt it was a good way to distance themselves from the outside noise and the representatives felt it was a good way to stay course. Meeting in Toronto is where they all felt comfortable. No one lived there and no one had ties there. It was a neutral safe haven for all.

After Irv held the key to the digital card reader, the door opened and he walked into the room. There he was in awe. The suite was over two thousand square feet and looked to be two floors. Being the first to arrive, He admired the decor and the ambiance. Most of all, the silence.

The long dining table had on it bottles of chilled champagne and finger food. But the view of the CN Tower from the balcony was breathtaking. Irv reminded himself that this is where loyalty got him. Having served under Fazi and now Leo, Irv assumed this made it all worth it. Second, to arrive was Vincent Gambino.

He yelled into his phone as he entered. "If I don't have that thing in my hands by the time I get back you cocksucker, count your days." Then he hung up. When he noticed Irv he said. "As I live and breathe." Vincent greeted him with a hug.

"A spitting image," Irv observed him. "You and Ricky look just like Gabriele."

"What can I say? The Gambino genes are strong." They both laughed. "Even though Ricky and I were cousins, people thought we were twins."

"Laying Ricky to rest." Irv paused. "Let me be the first to say, it's never easy to put one of our own to bed. My deepest." He placed his hand over his heart.

"Thank you."

"How does Gabe plan to retaliate?"

"With his trial, he's acting very frugal with the grief and all. I'm on standby. I told him to let me handle it."

"If you need help from the Family you let us know."

"When the time is right." Vincent poured himself a glass of champagne. "Leo did well putting you in charge. You took your quarter like a champ. Well deserved." he continued. "But, say, uh, twenty-five years with no cat. Even squirrels need their fix. How'd you manage?"

"I married my Jane so I could get conjugal visits."

"Smart man." They shook hands.

At the same time, Francis entered with Pierre. Pierre Morelli was Aurora's cousin but looked nothing like any of the Morelli's. Pierre had pale skin, blonde hair, and green eyes.

Pierre continued to tell Francis, "The wedding was wonderful. My cousin Paula, Aurora's daughter, married some John she met abroad. Spain or some shit. A complete jerk-off. Aurora told me he personally asked about her Family business at the wedding. The nerve. Am I right?"

"Unbelievable. These kids these days? No respect. No discretion." Francis replied. "But while I have you. I want to ask about the other thing. I need a small loan. I'd pay you back of course. You know I'm good for it."

"You see, that's why I don't support that gambling shit. Tell Dino I love him but I said personally it's not the way." Then he asked. "How much are you in the hole?"

"A dime."

"Ten grand?" Pierre immediately shook his head. "That kind of liquid cash. Who do I look like the Boss? A nickel, maybe, but a dime? No way." he pointed his finger while he scanned the room. "Who you should talk to is Pauly." Then he patted Francis on the back and left him at the door.

Around the table, Irv, Vincent, Francis, and Pierre gathered. There were hugs and kisses from everyone. The Right Hands of the Bosses felt just as important. And there was mutual respect. An understanding that god forbid, if something happened to the leader of their respective families, they would be next in charge. At one point there was talk that the Right Hands were the ones behind the scenes calling all the shots and that the bosses were just there to show face.

"We talking business or what?" Irv questioned. He felt powerful. He only dreamt of being so important. In his tailored suit, he looked like one of the bosses from an old gangster movie. He waited half his life for this moment.

Vincent looked around. "Say, where is Pauly?"

Soon after, Paul Tarantino was the last to arrive. Paul, like his brother, Marco, had a bun and tan skin. He wore a satin shirt, slacks, blue-framed sunglasses and entered like he owned the hotel. All for good reason he was fashionably late. He brought with him five females. All of which were young and petite.

Francis eyed one of the girls. "Well, well. What do we have here?"

"Figured we'd take a sick day. Play hooky at the office. Toss a few drinks, play some cards." Then Paul introduced the girls one by one. "Guys, this is Amber, Chelsea, Renee, Brittany, and Sara. All students at the University of Toronto." he moved his hands as he spoke. "Ladies, this is the guys."

Pierre pulled Paul to the side. "What is this Pauly, huh? Isn't your wife currently pregnant?"

"Oh, c'mon," Paul waved, then winked at Amber. "We're having fun."

"We're supposed to be stand-up men. Your generation I swear. No class."

"Don't bring Diana into this." Paul sighed. "Oh, I see, you want me to look like a jerkoff. I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing this for our fallen soldier, Ricardo Gambino. This is a celebration of his life."

"You want to celebrate the aspiring Priest by bringing Strippers here?" Pierre shook his head. "It's always a bad apple."

"Strippers?" Paul shook his head. "No, college girls. Much more classier."

"And what are we telling the Bosses we discussed?"

"You tell them whatever you'd like." Paul patted him on the shoulder then kissed his cheek. "Ignore him, ladies. These are real made men." Paul introduced the girls to Irv, Francis, and Vincent.

"So easy on the eyes," Vincent said as he smiled at one. "Like an Angel."

Francis put his arm around another. "How are you doing, hun?"