CHAPTER 4

In Pennsylvania, miles from Philadelphia, Aurora Morelli had gotten more hugs and kisses than she would've liked. But she also didn't know why she expected any different being the mother of the Bride. The crowd of two hundred people roamed the ten-acre land that had farmhouses, and snow-covered greenery, and was the location of her daughter, Paula Morelli's, dream.

The barn wedding looked like something off of Pinterest. The winter wonderland scenery was something out of a fairytale that was complemented with rustic aesthetics. Aurora was just happy to see it all come together because she better than anyone knew how much it cost. By the time of the ceremony, Aurora fell in love with Paula's wedding dress all over again. She even thought her daughter was bold for having a wedding in the wintertime. But by the time of the reception, Aurora felt toasty between the large propane heaters and drinking a few mason jars of moonshine.

As she watched the newlyweds' first dance, Aurora cried happy tears. It made her heart smile seeing how happy Paula was with her now-husband, Stefan Sergio. She still remembered when Paula called her while studying abroad and told her that she met a guy. The rest was history. As she danced with her husband Ezra, with her face resting on his chest, Aurora thought about their son, Ezra Junior.

Somewhere on the property, Ezra was off horse playing with the other teens around his age. Aurora worried about her son. How immature and socially awkward he was. She just hoped that by this time next year, he had the guts to ask some Jane to be his date to prom.

With her kids getting older, Aurora thought a lot about her retirement plan. She wasn't getting any younger though she tried a dozen face creams and overnight miracle serums. On paper, she and Ezra owned a farm. There they grew fruits and vegetables that they sold to local farmer's markets and organic grocery stores around Pennsylvania.

Off paper, her business activities were speculated by many but confirmed by none. Aurora drove a one-of-twenty sports car that was the only of its kind in the United States. Many assumed that she was in the same line of work as her deceased brother and father but no one could prove it. It didn't come as a surprise to any that when she and Ezra got married he took her last name. Her last name held merit. Though Ezra's Family was also Italian, he was nothing more than the son of a chef.

The reception bled into the wee hours of the next morning thanks to the open bar. What Aurora hoped was her new son-in-law informing her that he and his wife were off on their honeymoon in Belize, was something different entirely. Stefan caught Aurora by surprise when he asked her to join him outside away from the crowd.

Stefan loosened his tux tie and looked as if he had rehearsed his lines. "I'm hoping now that I'm family I can have a proper sit down with you and explore employment opportunities. Maybe when we get back."

Aurora smiled. "As I've told you before, working on the farm is not as glitz and glamor as you think. it's--"

"--I'm talking about your other business." Stefan paused. Though he finally mustered up the courage to ask the long-awaited question, A part of him was scared of Aurora.

"What the hell did you just say to me?" Aurora was thrown off. Normal people didn't have the courage to ask such questions out in the open, let alone at her daughter's wedding.

There was an awkward silence and a clear tension as they stared at one another.

Stefan spoke without looking at her. "As your son-in-law, I'm hoping that you'll trust me."

"Let's be very clear, Stefan. My daughter married into your family, she took your last name. Not the other way around."

"Your daughter, my wife, maybe blinded by who you really are and what you really do, but I'm not."

"You kiss your mother with that mouth?" Aurora shook her head. "There is a reason I didn't introduce my kids to that life and I'd like to keep it that way."

"As you should." Stefan continued. "I have a lot of respect for you and what you do. I'm only hoping that you'll allow me an opportunity to prove my worth. That's it."

"You be a good husband to my Paula. That's how you prove your worth." Aurora made her brow jump. "And I want grandkids. Lots of them."

He nodded.

"And another thing. Don't let this dress fool you, Stefan." Aurora led and he followed. "You talk to me like that again, I just might kill you."

When they rejoined the crowd, Paula asked. "Everything okay?"

"You betcha, sweetie. Your Stefan here is quite a peach." Aurora smiled as she picked a glass of champagne from a server. "I was just telling him that babies aren't processed at Amazon. If you start practicing on your honeymoon, I can be a grandmother by this time next year."

Paula blushed as Stefan wrapped his arm around her. "Mom, you're so embarrassing."

She kissed her daughter on the cheek. "I'm just fooling. Have fun in Belize. Take plenty of pictures. I love you." When Paula turned, Aurora dropped her smile and glared at Stefan.

After Stefan and Paula made their grand escape, Ezra joined Aurora and asked. "You alright, honey?"

"That Stefan." she shook her head. "I changed my mind. I don't like him. This marriage was a mistake."

"Honey, you can't say stuff like that. It's bad luck." Ezra sighed. "Everything that you're feeling. It's normal. I feel it too. Our first chick has left the hen."

Aurora frowned.

"This is the unnecessary stress your doctor was talking about." He kissed her hand.

At the same time, Ezra Jr. joined them.

"You ready to go?" Aurora asked.

He nodded then said. "Now that Paula's married. Can I have her old car?"

"The beamer?" Ezra Sr. questioned. "Not a chance."

Aurora had her work cut out for her. Family or not, she saw Stefan for who he really was. An opportunist.