CHAPTER 27

This meeting was different. Rumors of a traitor in the Family made Judy sick. Dino recommended his contact at a private security company. They wanted to expose the wolf without warning. They were starting with the Right Hands. They knew not to be too careful. The security team swept the suite with what was explained to Judy as top-of-the-line hidden cameras and bug detectors.

Upon arrival, every person was searched and scanned for wires and listening devices. Everyone was asked to leave all electronic devices with the guard at the door. One by one they entered the suite and joined at the table.

Irv was far from amused. He kept his head on a swivel. "What'd I miss? Who are we waiting for? The President?"

Judy replied, "Chicago is investigating a time-sensitive matter."

Stefan followed, "Something we should be concerned with?"

"We have intel that leads us to believe the Family has a leak," she answered.

"A leak? Someone talking to the Feds?" Vincent couldn't handle any more bad news.

Irv looked at Paul. Maybe he was right. Maybe Stefan's arrival had ill intentions and ulterior motives.

"Chicago seems to have a lot of problems these days." Paul joined then placed his hands behind his head. "Maybe we should be discussing Dino's leadership."

"Maybe you'll be my problem if you keep it up." Judy snapped back. "Thing is, we don't think the leak is in Chicago."

That's when eyes started to wander. Paul and Irv had their suspicions of Stefan. Stefan looked as if he was clueless. And Vincent looked appalled that such a thing would ever happen in the first place.

"Any guesses of who?" Irv looked puzzled.

"Or where?" Stefan followed.

"Not sure." Judy continued. "But you all need to figure this out and fast."

"Who's the source?" Vincent asked.

"Does it matter?" She answered.

"Well, wait a minute. Not so fast." Paul interrupted. "Why hasn't Dino considered the obvious answer? How else do you think you got here, hun?"

Irv looked flustered. "Don't even say it."

"I mean think about it. You stripped the man of the only thing he's ever known." Vincent agreed. "Francis flippin' wouldn't be far-fetched."

"Hate to say it." Irv tried not to look at Paul. "The kids got a point. Dino should've taken care of this before it even got this far."

Judy tried to recant her statement but it was already too late. "We don't know that Francis is the one singing to the choir."

"Is that what you believe or what Dino told you?" All Paul heard was that Dino knew and didn't respond. "When someone talks, they talk about all of the families. This negatively affects us all."

Judy knew what she thought. But to disrespect, Dino's name in front of the others was a felony. "Are you saying Dino's judgment is clouded?"

"I'm saying what I'm saying and however you receive it, well..." Paul rose from his seat. "He ain't a made man no more. He's not one of us."

"Easy. He took an oath," Vincent replied.

"Fuck the Omerta." Then Paul looked at Vincent. "Can't play the fence forever." He headed for the door. "I'm not even sure why we're still talking about this."

Then there were four. Judy knew she should've stopped Paul but why would she? She tried to warn Dino that this would happen. Broken heart syndrome or not. She knew what this meant for Francis. He was now being hunted.

Irv cleared his throat and then rose from his seat. "I...um...I didn't do time just to have someone rat me out. God forbid. I'm sorry, hun." Then he too left.

Then there were three.

"What else is news?" Vincent nodded at Stefan.

"Not much." Stefan was tired nonetheless. "Aurora has me picking up Junior from school. Washing her car. This is normal right?"

"Normal? You're her little errand boy." Vincent laughed. "What's a classier way to say it, Intern? Assistant? Personal shopper?"

Stefan's smile dropped. He hadn't even noticed. But Vincent was right. Aurora was keeping him busy. Busy enough to make him feel special.

He knew what he had to do. He needed to know more about the Crazy Eight Fund. He needed to be needed. That's where the real action was. That's when Stefan followed suit. He left the suite on a rampage.

"And then there were two." Vincent watched as the door closed behind Stefan. Then he scooted closer to Aurora. "You know if you wanted to take advantage of me I wouldn't--"

Judy pushed him away and then stood up. She distanced herself as she shook her head and changed the subject. "Gabe should've fought this thing. Went to trial."

"He did the best he could." Vincent shrugged. "He says he has a plan. Whatever that means."

"What does this mean for Jersey?"

Vincent joined her and grinned harder than before. He tried to not sound overly giddy but he couldn't help it. "He named me boss. Gave the blessing."

"Oh my god. Vin, that's huge."

"I know."

"Congratulazioni!"

They hugged then without warning Vincent kissed Judy. After they pulled away they both stared at one another sort of in shock. Vincent had waited a long time and Judy didn't hate it. The butterflies were mutual.

Judy smiled. She thought about kissing him back. "Why haven't you announced?"

"It's better this way." He placed his hands on her hips. "I don't want the guys to look at me differently. Besides, I like being the dark horse." Then he stepped back.

But she didn't let him go too far. She wrapped her arms around his neck and gazed into his eyes.

"Don't go soft on me now, Jud." He looked down at her. "What was it you said to me? Now's not a good time?"

They both laughed.

Then he followed, "I'm just kidding. You know I'm crazy about you."

Judy was excited yet scared at the same time. She made it her business to specifically stay away from the men in the Family. "How would we even make this work?"

"The distance? What you can't come to Jersey? I can't come to Chicago?" He kissed her again. "We'll figure it out." Vincent left her and sat on the sofa that looked expensive.

She soon joined him and straddled his waist.

"Woah, woah, woah. I'm not that easy, hun. Take me to dinner first." Vincent laughed.

"Compromise." She removed her shirt. "We'll order room service."

The star-crossed lovers found a common ground in Toronto and a romance blossomed that neither one planned for.