CHAPTER 12

When he wasn't managing the suite, Dino Ferrero worked a regular nine-to-five and lived a normal life. With an undergraduate degree in Quantitative Finance from the University of Illinois and a Master's in Risk Management from Northwestern, Dino without question, was one of the smartest family members. Though he had the knowledge and resources to open his own financial firm, he liked living under the radar. He was a mid-level Financial Advisor and he liked it that way. At times Dino even considered himself a Magician.

By day, Dino had his hands in insider trading, money laundering, offshore accounts, and shell companies. So the less attention on him the better. Dino was in bed with very powerful people who paid him handsomely to make their money simply disappear. But Dino wasn't single-handedly the reason the Firm made so much money. While he was helping the predators, his colleagues were helping the prey. It was a never-ending cycle.

Dino knew he was smart enough to be the CEO of his own company but he didn't like the attention that came with that. In fact, some of his Managers were frequent visitors to his suite. Dino liked being viewed as an underdog who gave a wow factor when he came out on top. The firm Dino worked for had a multi-billion dollar portfolio. This meant every employee, including Interns, had their own office and complimentary Voss water.

Though the number one rule of the suite was that you didn't talk about it outside, there were always newcomers who thought they were above the rules. Some of whom were Dino's coworkers and partners at competing firms. Dino told himself he would make a decision over lunch. But lunch came and went and Dino was still undecided. To his surprise when he returned, Dino had a visitor waiting for him in his office.

"Judy." Dino slowly entered his office and then immediately closed the door behind himself.

"Hello, Uncle." she nodded to his chair. "I emailed some properties. For you and Fran."

"You shouldn't have." Dino sat in his chair. "You're really backing me into a corner here."

"Don't think about it. Just pick somewhere. At least go see them."

"I'll think about it."

Judy nodded. "Let me ask you this. Why do you think Irv Harrison has visited every family except us?"

Dino shrugged. "I'm sure there's a logical explanation."

"I'm hearing he saw Vinny in Jersey, saw Marco in Detroit, and even saw Aurora in Philly. Why are we being left out?"

"Frankly, I didn't know Irv that well. We were never close."

"Now I know Irv is old school, a part of your generation but this segregation isn't disrespectful to you?"

"He was fond of the others." Dino hadn't thought too much about it. "He went inside when we were in our twenties. We aren't kids anymore. He's probably catching up on lost time. Twenty-five years is a long time."

Judy didn't respond. She loved her Uncle but she often wondered how different things would be if she were Boss.

Though she didn't say anything he knew what her facial expression meant. She disapproved. "What do you want me to do? He was in prison longer than you've been alive. Show the man some respect. He did the Family a great service."

Judy rolled her eyes. "That's not even why I'm here."

Dino crossed his legs. His niece knew how to keep him in line and on his toes. "I know why you're here and my answer still remains. I haven't decided."

Judy sighed. "Look, I know Francis is like a brother. He's like an Uncle to me too. But you have to make a decision. If you do nothing the others might view this as a moment of weakness."

"If these walls could talk." Dino barked back. "Anyone who thinks I'm weak can come see me about it. Get the word out."

"I mean the options are very simple. Has Francis paid?"

Dino sighed as he rubbed his temples.

"Yes or no?"

"No."

"He made his bed. Either Francis lives or Francis dies."

Dino snapped. "Francis isn't touched unless I say so, understand?"

Later that evening, at a restaurant downtown, Dino and Judy met with Francis. Dino ate a plate of chicken parmesan while Judy did nothing but give Francis a look of disgust.

"A week including interest." Dino washed his food down with a glass of merlot. "A rule that has been around for generations."

"Dino, I--" Francis wanted to make his case but Dino cut him off.

"--Now's not the time for you to talk." Dino briefly paused. "You know my old man popped his Right Hand for a lot less. God forbid history repeats itself. Your family will be taken care of. I swear that on my soul." He sighed. "What would you do if you were me?"

Francis added. "We're like brothers. I'd trust that you were good for it. I'd give you more time."

Dino wiped his mouth with the hand towel. "Some family members," He briefly looked at Judy, "Feel that if I do nothing...the message it sends. Others might follow the flock."

"I know it's judgment day." Francis nodded. "Just tell me, Dino. How bad is it?"

"You've left me no choice." Dino continued. "I without question can't have a Right Hand in debt. Effective immediately Judy will take over for you."

Francis looked conflicted. "Back at the bottom? Oh, Dino, put a bullet in my head. I beg you." He worked hard to get to the position of Right Hand. Only to have it snatched in a matter of seconds. It didn't bother him that Judy was a woman. He hated the thought because he had been Right Hand longer than she had been alive.

Judy smirked. "Careful what you wish for."

"I'm doing you a solid, Francis. I hope you learn from this." Dino folded his hands on the table. "So we're clear, your title has been stripped but you still owe the debt. Maybe this will give you the push."