CHAPTER 26

The decision was not taken lightly. He knew the outcome was inevitable. Gabriele did as Gail instructed. He signed his life away for five or ten years with probation. Though he knew he wasn't a drug dealer, the alternative solution Gail introduced appeased him very much. Just to be sure he updated his will and gave his wife access to accounts she never knew existed.

The story of how kilos of marijuana arrived on Gabriele's vineyard was still a mystery. The concept of him being a supplier amused him. It was clear the government had a compelling case and needed a fall guy. So he accepted the charges. Out of respect. He wanted the RICO case and the United States Government to keep their eyes on him and him only.

Gail had one rule when Gabriele hired her. She didn't want to be lied to. She wanted him to tell her the truth no matter how incriminating it was. But his narrative never changed. He was involved in other crimes but being a drug dealer wasn't his field. Though Gail was favored amongst alleged criminals, she believed Gabriele.

Gabriele begged Gail to relay his message to the Feds. He would never talk. Guilty or not. Above loyalty, he prided himself on his reputation. Besides, as far as he was concerned being confined to a New Jersey penitentiary wouldn't be the worst. He had a few friends already there.

Those who knew Gabriele took the plea wanted to plan a going-away party the night before. But Gabriele refused. He wanted something more intimate with only him and his wife. The morning of, there was something about house arrest that Gabriele knew he was going to miss. No more golf. No more DEA Agents were posted outside of his house. No more US Marshals escorting him to approved funerals.

Before he turned himself in, at the gate, Vincent and Gail waited for him. Hand-in-hand with his wife, Angela, there were hugs and kisses all around. The end of the road was here. But to their surprise, an unexpected pair joined them. Agent Wright and Agent Kacey from the ATF seized the moment.

"You never called," Agent Wright started. He looked somewhat disappointed.

"This is highly unprofessional," Gail added. "My client has nothing more to say to anyone."

"I'm just surprised is all." Agent Wright made a face. It was clear that he assumed Gabriele had more information about his son's death than he led on. Agent Wright had this idea in his head that Gabriele was withholding information. That he knew exactly who killed his son.

"Surprised?" Gail snapped back. "That makes two of us. Talking to my client without my presence? I've had Agents removed for a lot less." She already wasn't in the best mood. Gabriele was her client and her clients didn't serve prison time. This was a strike against her reputation. One she had to fix and fast.

"I don't doubt that." Agent Wright rolled his eyes. "We all know who you are. The Attorney from hell. But listen, this investigation continues whether you like it or not."

Agent Kacey picked up. "We came to inform Mr. and Mrs. Gambino that other bodies in the bombing have been identified. That we are actively exploring leads."

"Leads?" Gail repeated. "Plural?"

Angela tried hard to keep it together but she couldn't. She broke into tears. "You know who did this to our son?" It's as if the nightmares weren't enough. She kept seeing ghosts of Ricardo when he was a toddler. She couldn't handle any more bad news. The grief was already eating her alive.

Agent Wright answered. "Not yet. But we will...soon."

Gabriele looked at his sweet bride. The woman who had his heart. The mother of his only child. He wiped Angela's tears. "I love you, Angie. It'll all be sorted soon."

Angela's life had taken a turn for the worse. She never envisioned going from a mother and wife who lost her husband and son in the same breath. She couldn't handle it. Once upon a time, Gabriele threw around the idea of her being acting boss in his absence but she didn't want it. She never wanted that life. All she wanted was him home.

It was sad to think about but she wished her body hadn't given up on her. It was at times she felt Gabriele deserved another child. Though she wanted nothing more her, Gynecologist informed her that there was nothing more to be done. She was thrown words like menopause and adoption.

Angela was as loyal as they came. She didn't have plans to cheat on Gabriele or run off with his money. She knew she would visit every week. She knew she would simply wait for him. "I'm proud of you baby. I love you forever." He hadn't even served a day and she was already strategizing his release with Gail.

Before he entered his new home, Gabriele looked at Vincent. Then he gave him a nod. The nod that Vincent waited for his entire life. It was the nod of approval. The nod that promoted him from acting to interim boss.

Gail knew all too well what the nod meant. She had seen it time and time again with past and present clients. Though she had work to do she was ever so curious. Wandering minds wondered how much Vincent was willing to risk to seize the day. If he was the one who set Gabriele up.

Most empires fell from the inside. Gail had her version of the story that made sense. She figured Vincent was responsible for the drugs and framed Gabriele. Because to the government, Gabriele was a big fish. Guilty or not they wanted him for any crime he admitted to.

Gail promised Angela that she would assist in any way she could. And she intended to keep that promise. Gail always knew how to turn two fives into two jokers. She represented Gabriele but figured it was time she learned who her new interest was. Hello, Vincent Gambino, nephew of Gabriele and now boss of the Gambino family.