CHAPTER 9

The tour of Italy was off to an eventful start. The rendezvous in Venice went exactly as expected. Leonardo De Luca lived up to his reputation. He didn't plan to run into his ex and she knew how to strike a cord. But Leo also knew eventually Fazi would get word of his actions and that his father would be disappointed. Moving to the next leg of the boot, the boys made their way to Milan.

And they had high hopes. Great food, wine, soccer, and women. While of course squeezing in sightseeing the cathedral and shopping. Over cups of spiked coffee and a breakfast of champions, the trio debriefed. Caleb was a lover boy. He fell in love with every woman he laid eyes on.

"The broad who gave me her number in the club." Caleb poured a cup of syrup on a pile of pancakes. "Called. No response." He sighed. "I really thought she could've been the one you know."

"The one what? You mean the one with the boyfriend?" Ronnie laughed. "These women are ruthless. You can't show them any mercy."

"What would you know about it?" Caleb shook his head. "When's the last time you had a girlfriend?"

"I have needs like every man." Ronnie shrugged. "But a girlfriend? What do I need her for? Forget about it."

"Ron can't keep a girlfriend because he always has a goomah." Leo laughed then added. "Then he can't keep the goomah because he has a girlfriend. He can't win for losing."

"Every powerful man has a strong lady on his arm." Caleb cut into his pancakes and then took a big bite. "In some cultures, multiple wives. It's natural."

Leo responded. "You'll be lucky to get one to marry you, Caleb."

Caleb's smile dropped. "You really think so?" Then he stared at the floor as if he was sad.

"I'm just busting balls, kid." Leo shook his head. "Don't go jumping off the roof." Then he looked at Ronnie. "But that goomah, wasn't she with you and multiple guys in the Family?"

"Forget about it. Enough about me. But Vanessa." Ronnie bent his eyebrow. He wanted the attention off of him so he switched the subject. "She looked good. Happy, healthy."

"I mean she didn't look that great. Just alright. That Sebastian prick. What kind of name is that?" Leo rolled his eyes. "That cocksucker boyfriend of hers had it coming."

Caleb asked. "But we've left the bid in Venice, yeah?"

Ronnie looked at Caleb. "You asking or telling?"

Caleb responded. "We're on vacation. If I wanted to bust balls I would've stayed in Boston."

"If you're a pussy just say that." Ronnie sipped his drink.

Caleb shook his head. "We can't just disrespect the motherland. That toxic energy is bad for business. One and done. I need to hear you say it, Leo."

"Toxic energy. Listen to this one." Leo smiled. "How was I supposed to know Vanessa was in the boot?"

Then Ronnie looked at Caleb and said, "How's about when your Boss," Then he looked at Leo, "God forbid," Then back at Caleb, "You make the call. 'Disrespect the motherland.'" He rolled his eyes. "A man has to defend himself. Anything other than that is pathetic."

Leo added. "And for the record, I don't choose violence, violence chooses me."

Caeleb circled back. "Well, are you or aren't you?"

"Sure." Leo shrugged.

Though in a different location, the De Luca perks continued. A different city, a different nightclub. A different section, different women. After ordering another bottle of tequila and champagne, Leo felt right at home. Though they all were surrounded by beautiful women, Caleb and Ronnie flirted with the girls near them.

But one girl caught Leo's eye. She was in the section next to them with another group of people. Being the troublemaker and bold guy that he was, Leo walked into that section and directly up to her.

"Something's wrong with my eyes because I can't take them off you," he said, giving her an inviting smile.

The girl had a pretty face. She was tan, tall, and had long hair. "Do I know you?"

"Not yet, sweetheart. But you will." He put his hand out. "I'm Leo."

She shook his head. "Natalia."

"That's a very pretty name." Leo hoped to say the right things to keep her talking or at least make her smile. "You must be tired because you've been running through my mind all night."

Natalia smiled. "Your theatrics are very clever Mr. Leo. What brings you to Milan?"

"Would you believe me if I said you?" Leo smiled back. "I was absolutely blinded by your beauty. I'll need your phone number for insurance purposes."

"How are you enjoying your time here?"

"So far so good. I didn't have plans to go to the museum. But then I saw you." He responded. "You're a work of art."

Before she could respond, a group of men rejoined the section. Four or five of them wore jewelry and suits. Suits that looked expensive. Like they were somebody important.

"We got a problem here?" One of them looked at Natalia but asked Leo.

"No problem." Leo looked only at Natalia. "Is this your boyfriend? Tell him he'll see you tomorrow. Come hang out with real made men."

"Hey, tough guy." Another guy tapped Leo on the shoulder. "This section is closed."

Leo looked at his shoulder then back at Natalia. "But like I was saying--"

Another guy said, "He drunk or something? Hey pal, You know whose girl that is? Whose section this is?"

"I didn't know women were property in this country."

"You aren't from here. You should take a walk."

"I don't think I will."

"Or have your brains scattered like ravioli." At the same time, one of the men lifted his shirt and showed the gun that was on his hip.

Leo nodded then said, "Flashing guns with ladies present? Where'd you get that? A crackerjack box?"

"Keep it moving." One of the men responded.

Leo smiled and then kissed Natalia's hand. "Another time." He left it alone and went back to his section. He didn't want to cause a scene.

But when the night ended, Leo, Caleb, and Ronnie waited behind the club in their rented car. Leo knew the type of guys who stiffed him out of their section. To come in a club strapped they knew the club owner, and security, and felt they were too important to use the front door. Just as Leo predicted the group of guys exited the club through the back door. While still in the car, Leo rolled down the window. Ronnie did the same. They both pointed their guns and aimed at the men.

"Hey, Mr. Ravioli," Leo yelled. Before the group of men could react it was too late. Ronnie and Leo already let bullets fly.