CHAPTER 15

Things went from bad to worse in Chicago. Rumors were spreading around the city and eventually landed in Judy's ear. Judy immediately took what she heard and brought it to Dino. seated across from him at work in his office she watched as he processed everything she told him.

Dino rubbed his temples. "Slow down. Start over from the beginning. Who told you this? Johnny Junior or Johnny Senior?"

Judy repeated. "Johnny Junior told me that he heard from that volunteer Fireman. You know the one who's buddies with that Detective. He told Johnny that the Family has a snitch." she paused. "Someone is talking to the cops. This can get very messy."

Dino closed his eyes. "That the Chicago Family has a snitch or that the Damily at large has a snitch?"

"He didn't say."

"Well, what did he say, specifically? I need exact details."

"That the Family has a snitch."

"Who else knows this?"

"It's hard to tell."

"Until we think this through and get to the bottom of it," Dino sighed, "Let's keep this quiet."

Judy stared at her Uncle. She knew he didn't want her to ask but she did anyway. "You don't think..."

"Oh God no. Don't even say it." Dino looked sick.

"Did he seem upset to you? I mean...his whole life's work," she snapped. "Gone."

"Francis wouldn't flip on the Family over a dime."

"What makes you so sure?"

"Are you trying to make me upset?"

"We can't rule out the obvious, Din."

Dino pondered. "Alright, let's not lose our heads here. I wanna talk to Junior and I wanna connect with our badge down at the station."

"You don't think getting a cop involved will make this worse than it already is?"

"We're already exposed." Dino hung his head. "I first want eyes on Francis. God forbid he did something stupid. I wanna know about it."

"Already two steps ahead of you." Judy showed her phone. "I put eyes on him as soon as I heard."

"That wasn't your call to make." Dino groaned. "Why is shit never simple with this Family?"

"Well thank God I did," Judy added. "Francis left the city."

"He's tryna run? Jesus Christ." Dino gave a death stare. "Why are you just now telling me this?"

"Because I needed you to see the whole picture. Francis is not who you think he is."

"Where is he now?"

"Des Plaines."

Dino deeply sighed. "This fucking guy. I can't catch a break."

Then Judy went in for the kill. The question that was burning her mind. "You're saying he may not flip over a dime, but would he flip over his title? Our guys are on site. All you have to do is say the word." Judy replied. "Do you want Francis dealt with, yes or no?"

Miles from the city, Francis Aldo heard nothing but the sound of slot machines and playing cards being shuffled. Francis felt a sense of calm when he was in a casino. Though he was able to win five thousand, he still had to find a way to pay Dino another five-plus interest. He knew that if he went to Dino with half, he would only make matters worse. Losing his title would only be the start.

So Francis did what he knew how to do best. He gambled with hopes that his luck would hit. Francis better than anyone that scared money didn't make money so he took the biggest gamble of his life. At the roulette table, he put a thousand on black. But unfortunately for him, the ball landed on red.

Then he tried again, he put another thousand on black. But then the same thing happened. The ball landed on red. He tried again, with the same result. He tried again, with the same result.

With his last thousand, he put it on black and he finally hit. Then he doubled on even, hit again, then put it all on black, and hit again. Then Francis pulled the impossible. He bet it all on double zero. With all eyes on him, Francis hit again.

He was on fire and had the attention of arguably every security camera and table manager. That's when he was invited to the VIP high roller's room. But Francis learned his lesson. He knew it was time to walk away. Losing his title was embarrassing enough.

As he walked to the cashier counter, Francis was approached by two suited men.

One of the men flashed a badge and then said, "Francis Aldo. Special Agent DuPont and Agent Jones. Criminal investigations division."

Francis lifted a brow and then responded. "Out of our elements, aren't we boys?"

"Francis," said Agent Jones. "We have reason to believe your life's in danger."

"Yeah, it is, with you two here." Francis tried to scoot past them. "I can't be seen talking with Feds."

Special Agent DuPont followed. "We're willing to offer you and your family protection. Set you up somewhere real nice."

"Let me guess out of the goodness of your hearts?" Francis shook his head.

"There's chatter amongst The Five about having you whacked. Not just in Chicago. The Family has already voted." Special Agent DuPont answered.

Francis didn't budge. "I'm not stupid. You tell that to all your subjects."

"We're giving you an out. An opportunity to save your family a lot of pain." Agent Jones replied. "We're coming down on Dino. His empire will fall. You don't have to be there when it does."

"Get out of my sight." Francis had been around long enough to not be bothered by a Federal Agent or two telling him a scary bedtime story. He had already heard it all before.

Special Agent DuPont folded his arms and said, "Guys like Dino don't serve time. They need guinea pigs like yourself. Think about it. This won't end how you think."

"You wanna hear my spiel? Here it is. Make sure you get this on records." Francis smiled. "...go fuck yourself."

"Just remember that we tried to help you, Francis, when you're six feet under." Agent Jones nodded at Special Agent DuPont. They had gotten nowhere. That was their cue to leave and head back to the drawing boards.