Chapter 15.

The streets, houses, and trees blurred together as I ran. Behind me, I faintly heard Harry cursing and slamming his car door shut. The calves of my legs burnt as I continued but I didn't stop because I didn't want Harry to find me.

I counted the streets as I passed them, peaking behind me to see Harry's car always close by. I hoped and prayed that he would just give up and leave because my legs were going to give any time. I made turn after turn, trying to lose him but obviously his car was much faster than my feet.

A park came into view and I ran into it until I came to a bench next to a small pond. I slumped down onto it and took in mouth fulls of air, trying to catch my breath. Hatred for myself coursed through me. How had I screwed up my life so badly from just last week that I was running from a member of the family who was willing to adopt me, and who I was also in love with?

Less than a minute later, Harry's car skidded to a stop near the edge of the park. He got out, once again slamming the door, and sprinted toward me but I didn't have the energy to run anymore. I expected him to be fuming with anger from the way he slammed his car door but when he approached me, he seemed calm and collected like he normally was. His green eyes were bright and wild as he sat down next to me. His scent wafted around me, reminding me of all the things we'd done together.

"Don't run." Harry said, glancing at me once as I avoided eye contact. "Sami, everyone is so, so worried about you. The police are out looking for you."

"Harry, I can't go back to the Holbrooks. I can't. I'm too ashamed to. They thought I was better than this and I know I shouldn't have done this. I've ruined everything." I said and my voice broke at the end of my last sentence.

I snook a look over at Harry but still didn't meet his eyes. He bit down on his bottom lip and looked away, his eyes staring over the pond. He made a strange face like he was mentally debating on something.

"You- you're not going back to the Holbrooks. You were reported as a runaway so when the police find you they are going to take you to the juvenile detention center, possibly until you're eighteen."

Harry had to be joking but I could tell by his voice that he wasn't. I never wanted to go back to lock up, ever, and I didn't think I would. I thought I was done with those kinds of places, but apparently not. My mind went crazy trying to think of ways to get out of my situation. I couldn't go back there.

"Harry, please don't tell anyone you found me. Please? I'll go hide or maybe I'll find somewhere to stay. You can't tell the police or Christy or anyone." I pleaded desperately.

Harry opened his mouth to reply just as a cop car pulled up behind his. I abruptly stood up, ignoring the burning in my calves, and prepared to run again. I didn't know where I would go but I had to go now. Harry stood up right after me and grabbed ahold of my wrists, his grip tight, as the police officer neared us.

"Harry let me go!" I shouted, trying to pull my wrists away from him. He stayed silent and tightened his grip on me. "Let me go! I can't believe you're doing this to me."

Harry pulled me to him as the police officer got even closer and twisted his long arms around my middle section. I thrashed in his arms, yelling and kicking, and flailing my arms trying to get away from him. It was impossible; he was much stronger than me.

"Damn it, let go of me!" I shouted. "Harry, please?" Tears were forming in the corners of my eyes, threatening to fall down my cheeks.

The officer now stood right in front of me and I didn't stop thrashing in Harry's arms. This couldn't be happening right now. I kicked behind me at Harry's shins and he grunted but didn't let go.

"This is Samantha Ford, correct? You can confirm that to me, Mr. Styles?" The cop asked.

I stopped trying to get free from Harry because even if I did, I didn't have much of a chance of getting away. Self hatred flowed through me stronger than ever. I hated myself for ever falling for Harry. I hated myself for destroying what I had with the Holbrooks. I hated myself for loving Harry so much that I acted irrationally. What the hell was wrong with me? I felt like elbowing Harry in the ribs but decided against it. It wasn't his fault that I ran away. It was just his fault for being kind, caring, funny, sexy, and genuinely good, and making him easy to fall in love with.

"Yes, officer." Harry replied and I thought I caught a sad undertone in his deep voice.

The police officer pulled his hand cuffs out and reached for me as Harry urged me towards him. My heart was falling to pieces in my chest, because not only did Harry not want me how I wanted him, he was sending me away, turning me in, basically sending me back into the dreaded world of lock up.

The police officer yanked my arms behind my back and connected the cuffs around my wrists. I flinched when the cold metal touched my skin and what was happening really sunk in.

"Please don't take me to lock up. Please!?" I begged as the officer pulled me towards his car, forcing me to walk with him. "Harry!" Don't let him take me away. Harry! Please."

Harry stared down at his boots as I looked at him over my shoulder, and his arms hung almost lifelessly by his sides. The tears that threatened to fall just minutes ago now poured down my cheeks and I couldn't stop them. My chest tightened and a sob broke through my lips. Why was I such a good-for-nothing girl?

"I ran away because I fell in love with you, Harry! I was too weak to handle the heartbreak when you said you didn't want me. I love you." I said as the officer pushed me into the back of the squad car.

((Thanks for reading! This chapter isn't very long but it's an important one so if you liked it and want the next update faster, please vote))