Chapter 10.

"Pass me the hammer." Harry said, pointing down to my left from his place on the ladder.

I gave him the hammer, not meeting his gaze as I did so. The barn was coming along great, more so in the past couple of days. It had been almost a week since Harry and I's fight and he'd spent the three days after that away, working with contractors who were building a house. We'd been closed off to each other the entire time, ignoring each other as much as possible. I didn't understand why Christy wouldn't let me off of my punishment of working with Harry on the barn until it was finished.

"You were right." Harry said about a half hour later.

"Huh?"

"You were right." He repeated with a sigh." I wanted to touch you as much as you wanted me to, and I was definitely turned on." He didn't make eye contact with me, didn't even look at me, but he ran a hand through his hair, which I noticed he did a lot in stressful situations.

"Okay,"

"Okay is all you have to say?" Harry scoffed.

A smile pulled at my mouth, actually happy that Harry had finally admitted it. I was beginning to get the feeling that I had imagined it all and that Harry really wasn't all that into me.

"Yep, that's all." I laughed and he laughed with me. Some of the tension between us had lifted and everything felt light again. I could breathe again.

~
"Kayla, you can call me if you need anything and make sure you keep track of Maddie. Christy and Jon would definitely shoot me if I didn't bring her back home." Harry said.

"You're acting like such a dad, OMG, Harry." Kayla said, and then agreed. She took Maddie by the hand and headed off towards the kitty rides.

"You've been here before, right?" Harry asked me and I shook my head. "You have never been to the county fair? Ever?"

"I used to come here with my old foster parents when I was little. It's been years, though, because I've either been with a foster family who weren't willing to go or been locked up." I answered.

Harry nodded and started walking towards a street that was lined with different food vendors. The smells of greasy foods, and too sweet deserts filled the air as we got closer.

"You're getting food?" I asked.

"Nope, not yet." Harry replied. "There's a little booth down this way where we can get tickets for the rides." He grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him through the crowd of people who filled the narrow street.

Stopping at a small, yellow booth with a clear window in front, Harry let go of my hand, letting it swing down to rest at my side. A few people stood in front of us and when we made it to the front, he asked for forty tickets, pulling the money to pay for them from the wallet in the back pocket of his jeans. Next, he grabbed ahold of my hand again, leading us through the immense amount of people.

"Let's go on that!" Harry said, pointing at a complete circle rollercoaster that towered over the surrounding buildings. A glittery orange and blue metallic sign hang from the top that read "Fireball".

"Ehhh. . . Okay." I said and at that Harry dragged us toward the line of the ride.

"You know, you didn't have to buy tickets for me, Harry." I said as we waited.

"I didn't. I bought them for us so we could go on the rides together. It wouldn't be much fun going on them alone." He said, looking down at me and connecting our gazes. Our hands were still connected between his and he rubbed small circles against my skin with his thumb.