Five

The conversation you had earlier with Izaya spurred your former self to briefly awake. You relished in that tiny moment of compelling bravery. Newfound perseverance soared, along with a zest for life.

Your enthusiasm, however, quickly as it had occurred just as quickly disappeared. In truth, you were still very much afraid.

A sense of foreboding grew as you soon as you had buckled yourself in Hikaru's grey Toyota Chaser. Fidgeting in your seat uncomfortably, your [E/C] orbs were incessantly checking the rearview mirror for any suspicious vehicles following. The woes and worries clear in the reflection. You peek at your phone every minute, expecting a threatening message to appear. Even Hikaru happily chatting away – about the events in the first Vampire Assassin, did little to distract you. The paranoia accumulated, eventually tuning him out altogether, leaving you to be submerged in the deep waters of your fear. You were playing the waiting game; a game in which you were intended to be the loser.

Was this a mistake? Was it too late to turn-?

"You listening?"

"Huh?" Effectively startled back into the present, you turn and blink inquisitively at your companion. "What did you say?"

He sighs. "So you're not listening..."

"Eh...I'm s-sorry Hikaru-kun. Maybe..." The car slowly pulls over at the red light, giving you a moment to forlornly gaze out the passenger window. "This isn't such a good idea."

"Ah come on [Name]!" He whines, brunet eyes pleading. "Ya know how rare it for my coach to cancel practice? I need this just as much as you do!"

Hikaru was on the college basketball team, his position being that of the shooting-guard. You were not highly knowledgeable of sports, but you did enjoy watching competitions and giving moral support to friends who participated in such events. It was common for Hikaru to brag daily about his skills then subsequently invite you to watch him practice or to one of his games. Before your stalker problem, you had occasionally obliged and to your astonishment you discovered he had the right to boast. He was an incredibly talented player, fast on his feet, able to make the long range shots like a professional. It was an achievement he was enormously proud of.

You bite your bottom lip. "I-I just don't think I-"

"Hey..." He says gently, surprising you when his warm hand covers your own. The action causes your cheeks to glow red.

"I don't know what's going on with you, but can ya try to have fun? Just...don't think about your problems." He squeezes your hand, reassuringly. "They'll still be there tomorrow, but it'll be okay to forget about them for just tonight."

Staring down at the large hand griping your smaller one, you felt moved by his earnest suggestion. Your gaze trailed back to the window, where the city lights twinkled and flashed magnificently. They beckoned you like they had back on the farm, inviting you to embrace a moment of liberation.