Chapter One: Days Move Easy

It's been two years since it happened. Two years after my dad got the phone call saying that my mom and I were in an accident; an accident in which took only one life when it should have taken more. To this day, I will never forget the shattering of glass as it scattered like embers across my face. The taste of blood as it filled my mouth with a sickening feeling. The last expression my mother had before colliding into the windshield.

A single tear runs down my nearly colorless cheek, followed by a few more until they were a steady stream of guilt and sorrow. Today, being the anniversary of her death, has brought nothing but depression and anger around my household. Dylan has been an asshole all afternoon and Caleb locked himself in his bedroom and only came out to use the bathroom.

Dad has been doing what he normally did since his wife's death. He sits himself on the sofa, grabs a few beers, and switches on the television to watch God knows what, and that's only after he arrives home from work.

As for me, I have secluded myself from the rest of the family to wallow in my own self pity. I can never have decent conversations with my dad before he tunes out or becomes distracted. The same goes for my brothers, whom could care less about what's happening in my life. Like me, they've never been the safe since her passing.

My thoughts are whisked away by a faint breeze. The evening air softly kisses my skin, enwrapping me in its comfort. I've always loved this time of night, especially when I'm seated upon the roof of my house. It's always so tranquil and quiet up here. There are no cars speeding down roads, no noisy neighbors to interrupt my thinking, and no one to judge me when I cry or talk to myself.

Tonight is truly beautiful, as it is every other night. Silver stars disperse in the sky, some more vibrant and some faded. Each one illuminates the darkness and creates a surreal blanket of blacks and blues. Every intricate pattern up there looks like stardust. I find it calming. This is the one thing that I enjoy about Indianapolis - the skies are never polluted by light. Mom liked that too.

My mom and I used to do this all the time. She would lead me on to the roof and we would spend hours just looking at the stars and identifying different constellations. My brothers would occasionally join us, but it was mostly just her and I. It was our time together. But now those moments are gone, and there's no way to recreate them.

"What the hell are you doing up here?" I jump and almost fall off the roof when I hear Caleb's voice behind me.

"Damn you, Caleb! God, you gave me a heart attack!" I silently yell at my brother. "I almost fell!"

He scoffs. "Please. Considering how many times you've disobeyed dad by coming up here, I'm pretty sure the chances of you falling is slim."

I chuckle a bit as he attempts to climb up, but is obviously failing. Miserably. "You're gonna break your neck if you fall."

"Shut up," he mumbles under his frustrated voice.

Once he successfully climbs up, Caleb releases a dozen sharp breaths. Sweat is gathered at his brow and is already dripping down his face.

"How can you possibly be sweating? It's only in the fifties tonight," I state.

Caleb continues panting, wiping his hands across his face to clear away any droplets of sweat. My older brother takes a seat beside me, his white shirt fortunately visible in the darkness. For a moment, the two of us sit in utter silence. Conversations with my second oldest brother usually begin like this. "So how are you?" Caleb questions.

"Now that you mention it, I am a bit chilly, but I can manage."

"No. I mean how are you?"