Chapter Nineteen Pt. 1: Crossfire

Silas gets up from his sitting position  and walks toward me. Maxi watches him as he leaves her at the table, her face cold. I, however, have no idea what to do with my body. Should I walk over to him to? Do I stay where I am? Do I book it and run? These are too many questions for my hoarding mind to handle, so I try my hardest to block each of them out.

Felix and Ashley frolic next to us, both playfully pushing and wrestling one another. They actually remind me of the dogs at the dog park near my house. I used to walk pass there all the time, but for some reason, I don't get out as much as I used to. I guess dogs and puppies now give me nothing but sadness.

Felix's glasses soon slip off the rim of his nose and land on the ground, and he pauses the fighting, "Wait, where the hell did my glasses go?"

"Dude, you really need to get yourself a damn pair of contacts," retorts Ashley.

Felix soon retrieves them and the two of them resume their fighting stance as Maxi continues to sit silently and roll her eyes.

I turn my attention back to Silas, who smiles after his friends recommence their pointless fight. His grey eyes then meet mine and I lose my words. "Hey, Hewitt," he says. I'm grateful that he is the first to speak.

"Hey," I echo back.

Ashley almost bumps into Silas and he lets out a little chuckle for his friend, "Do you wanna talk somewhere quieter?"

"Yeah, sure."

He nods and then leads me back around the corner of the diner. Both of us are now standing in the parking lot. I can see in his eyes that he's as nervous as I am, which I guess is a comforting feeling. This time, I'm determined to be the first one to speak.

Silas' hands are in his jean pockets. Although his attention is on me, his focus is already far away. His eyes concentrate on something other than my own, probably on the large tree just standing just behind me. "Listen, Rowen-"

"No," I cut him off sharply, "Silas, I just need to get this out." He remains still, but his face speaks a million words. "I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry... for what happened between us. You were just trying to help me and I was nothing but an asshole to you. I overreacted and I didn't mean the things I said. And when you left, I thought I was never gonna get the chance to say that I'm sorry. Okay, I was way out of line and... I'm just sorry."

At first, I expected him to be completely furious with me. But to my surprize, I instead see a small smile pulling at the frames of his lips, "Did you really think that I would still be angry?"

"To be completely honest, I thought that you would be more than angry at me," I confess, my nervousness beginning to peek through my voice, but I try my best to shelter it with a transparent smile.

Silas' smile widens and he laughs, "Rowen, it was just a fight. It was no big deal."

"But you-"

"Okay, Hewitt," he comes closer to me and looks me straight in the eye, "If it will make you feel better, I already forgave you awhile ago."

I twist my face into a guilty expression, "Really?" I ask uncertainly.

"Yes, really. I promise that you're off the hook. Besides, I've said things in the past that were a lot worse. Just ask my dad." For a brief moment, I feel as if my lungs would collapse from holding in so much air. I've been holding my breath without even realizing it, just waiting for his answer. Now that I have it, my  conscience has one less piece of guilt to worry about. I suddenly realize that I've been quiet for an awfully long time when Silas addresses the matter, "You okay? You look kinda pale," he asks me.