Chapter Twenty-Six: Fractures

Two Years Ago...

"Is that it?"

"Yup. That's my baby," I reply. He looks two his side and grins widely, chuckling on the inside. As soon as I realize what he's thinking, I roll my eyes and say, "You know what I mean."

We both look back at the computer screen as I move my mouse delicately around the mousepad, the arrow just hovering above the buy icon. I gaze at the screen with eyes of lust, wanting what I see to be something I can touch.

Noah's hand rests on the back of my desk chair as he kneels on the carpeted floor. He has been coming over almost every day now, and I couldn't be happier. Now that our secret is out in the open and my mom knows about us, we can finally be more attentive toward one another without getting questionable looks. That is, as long as I keep my bedroom door open.

He looks more closely at the screen, examining everything there is to see. "This is pretty expensive, Nyc. How did you get the money for it?" he asks.

"Well, I'm actually still saving," I confess. The object that I'm trying to save every last penny for is a glorious telescope available on eBay. I've been looking into buying one for ages, but I've never been able to obtain the cash No one in my family knows about it. Not even my parents are aware. "But seriously, though. Isn't she beautiful?"

Noah chuckles. "You do know you're hitting on a telescope, right?"

I playfully hit him in the shoulder. "You have your hobbies, and I have mine," I say. I then exit the eBay site and turn off my computer. All of the sudden, I feel a finger or two gently stroke my cheek at they push away a section of blonde hair, tucking the strands behind my ear. I smile and pretend that I'm not paying attention as I attempt to get back to doing my homework. Though no matter how hard I try, I just can't ignore Noah's constant attempts to gain my attention. "Hands off the merchandise," I say to him, trying to angle my head away from his soft hands.

"So now homework has more of a hold on you then I do?" he jokes.

"It is since I'm studying for an important test. Something you should also be doing."

"You are officially no fun." Noah stands up and walks to the other corner of my bedroom to retrieve his backpack. Secretly, I wish I could put down the textbook and paper and focus my attention on more loving activities. He is right, after all. I have been avoiding sweet kisses and small moments every now and then, mostly because I have other things prancing around in my mind, such as my pregnancy and how I'm lying to everyone around me.

In a matter of weeks, I won't be able to hide my baby bump anymore. Everyone will know the truth, and Darian will eventually discover that this kid is his. I haven't even thought about this child's future. The thought of an abortion has been at the front of the line for a while now, but there's no way that I'll be able to do it. An innocent life will be murdered, all for the sake of me wanting to keep my life together. Then again, I'm not ready to me a mother. This baby deserves someone who can give it a fair chance at life - something I can never give it.

My phone begins to vibrate on my desk, stopping my thoughts from completely obliterating my mind. I pick it up and realize that it's a text from Olivia. My eyes widen, and my heart stops.

LIV : We need to talk. Now. 

Today is the fourth of July, which means that I'm hours away from adulthood. Every year, we would celebrate by going to watch the fireworks from a nearby lake and small beach. By watch, dad would set off the fireworks himself and people from our neighborhood would come and join us for the celebration. It was the one day a year that I always looked forward to. That all stopped after my mom and I got in the accident.

Dylan and Caleb insisted on planning my eighteenth birthday party, no matter how much I begged then not to. As usual, they wanted to have it on the beach like all my other parties. I tried to come up with excuses like how the beach was probably already booked or I've already made plans. None of those checked out.