Chapter Twenty-Five: Closer to You

SHORT A/N : The very beginning of this chapter is a bit boring, but it does get interesting, I promise!

Noah has thankfully released from the hospital two days ago. The doctors wanted him to stay overnight to make sure there wasn't anything else wrong besides the oxygen touching the blood. Of course, he fought them and tried telling them that he was perfectly fine, but he lost his battle.

As for Silas, his dad had to take a few weeks off from work because of his broken leg, so Silas decided that he wanted to find a job. I'm completely for it. It might be time for me to find a job as well. Money is sort of a hard thing to come by right now. My brothers have been working their asses off lately just to pay off a few bills, and it's about time that I pitch in and help.

Today, I scheduled another appointment with my therapist, Dr. Mase. It's been awhile since I last saw him. When we last spoke, I was really able to let myself go and blab about everything wrong in my life. He really helped me to see that I have people that care for me and would do anything for me, even if they don't fully understand what I'm going through. He helped me to realize that Silas is truly the one person whom I can count on to talk to. It's possible that he even helped me discover my feelings for him.

Dr. Mase comes into the waiting area and tells me that he's ready. I gather myself and all of my thoughts as I walk into his office and take a seat in one of those abnormally comfy chairs. He takes a seat in the chair in front of mine. This moment surely brings back memories.

"So, Rowen, last we talked, you were in a pretty bad place. Have you made any progress with your depression?" He asks.

I've always known that I had depression, but it has never felt so real until now. If I could, I would say that all of my problems instantly disappeared the minute I got to talk to Silas. I would say that my life is in tip-top shape with no missing pieces. I would say that I'm not caught in a cliche, love triangle between my best friend and my past enemy. If only like were that simple.

"Yeah, I guess I have," I say.

He nods. "Are you improving on controlling your anger?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact. I haven't really lashed out on anyone lately." Saying this give me a sense of self-confidence. I have been doing better with handling my emotions, especially my anger.

Dr. Mase jots something down on his trusty clipboard. Sometimes, I wonder what it is he's writing down. Of course, he would never reveal that kind of information, even to me; his patient. "This is good, Rowen. You're making excellent progress," he says.

The rest of the appointment goes by without a hitch. The two of us talk mostly about me, though Silas' name is mentioned a few times. I also bring up Noah and the incident that occurred a few days ago. I don't give him all the details, but enough for him to understand.

After the appointment, I decide that there's really no need for me to continue seeing Dr. Mase. I'm doing a lot better, thanks to Silas. Even though I've only been to two appointments, I still feel as though I can handle the rest of this little journey on my own. Although it was great having to talk to someone, it's time for me to start fresh with a new sense of visionary on the world.

When I get home I see Caleb sitting at the kitchen table with his phone in hand, seeming awfully invested on what is occurring on the screen. Once I put my purse down, I ask, "Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

"Hey, which do you prefer? Flowers or butterflies?" He questions, his eyes not leaving his phone screen.

I kick off my shoes and push them into a corner with my foot. "Um, why are you asking?"