Part 18

I woke up the same way that I have been every 2 hours- with Jay pressing feather light kisses all over my face. With a smile on my face, I open my eyes to see Jay's green ones, and the fact that I'm sore all over from the uncomfortable hospital bed isn't as prominent in my head for a second.

Until the beep of the heart monitor machine they're still making me wear interrupts, and we are reminded of our current setting. I groan and Jay sighs before his face lights up.

"Guess what," Jay says.

I know what he's going to say, that all I have to do is pass the physical and sign the paperwork and I can go home- or at least Jay and Hank think I'm going home, I'm actually going back to work. But I still indulge in the guessing game and ask, "what?"

"We only have to be stuck in here for another hour and a half and then we're good to go," he said with an excited look in his eyes.

"Yeah, I can't wait to get out of here and actually get some work done, have you heard anything from the district? Wait, don't answer that, I know you have, because I heard you on the phone and all you said was we'll talk later, so talk."

"Well, since you asked SO nicely..." Jay drags. "Voight called last night to say they got two of the perps, the other one was taken down on scene. Ones here in Chicago Med for treatment, the other is fine. They're sentence is already starting and states attorney has them looking at life without parol."

"Good, they deserve it. Does that mean the case is closed then?"

"Yeah, you just need to sign off on the paperwork and it'll be done"

That relieves me for two reasons- 1) we don't have to chase down sickos who hold toddlers hostage and 2) Alex and the other students won't be shadowing us anymore. I think.

"Does that mean that kids will be done then?" I ask Jay.

"I would think so, but I haven't heard anything on that yet so I don't know" Jay told me.

I'm kept from responding by the door opening. Will came in, and handed me my discharge papers with a smile. Less than an hour later, Jay was pulling into the driveway of our house while I complained about being in the passenger seat.

After we walked up the front path to the front door, I placed my hand on the door handle to open up the door, and pushed my way inside.

"Alex!" I yelled into the empty foyer. Or, not so empty, there were coats thrown everywhere and shows were spilling out of the closet instead of being kept inside of it. The amount of bags that were haphazardly dropped onto the ground revealed the addiction that Alex and I had accumulated to Vera Bradley, and I had to carefully pick my way through the mess to get to the hallway. When I got there, I toed my boots off and kicked them on top of the show pile.

"Uh uh," Jay called out, when he seen me add to the growing pile.

"What?" I asked, feigning innocence as I tried to back away from the mess. "This mess needs to be cleaned up, and it's going to be cleaned up now. ALEX!" Jay started to pick his way through so he could stand on the other side of the mess. "Okay, this is how it's going to-" Jay started to explain, but was cut off when Alex came barreling down the stairs.

"MOM" Alex yelled when she seen me, and proceeded to almost tackle me in a hug. I hugged her back, and after minimal prodding Jay joined the group hug too. "I'm glad you're home mom, but are you sure you're okay?" Alex mumbled into my shoulder.

"I'm fine babe, you know I wouldn't have gotten out of med if someone thought I wasn't." I reassure her. Alex nods and hugs me again.

"In fact," Jay starts, "Erin is so fine, that she can help clean up this mess" he says, with a devious smile on his face. Oh god, if there is one thing Jay Halstead knows about me, it's about my boy so fond relationship of cleaning and organizing.

Before I can come up with an excuse, Jays system is explained to Alex and I. First, everyone makes a pile with all of their stuff in it. Then, all of the coats in said pile are hung up, and all bags are put away. Then, the shoes are to be put back in the closet nicely.

Not that I'll ever admit it, but the plan worked quite nicely and around a half hour later, everything was put away and the floor could be seen again.

Sorry updates have been few and far between, and that this one is really short and sucky. Unless you all tell me otherwise, I'm going to end this within the next few parts. If enough of y'all don't want it to end, then I won't, but as of right now that is my plan. Please comment and vote!
~🖖