A SHOCK BEYOND ALL SHOCKS

Nick Freeze froze. He stared. He opened his mouth and stood there gaping like a goldfish. And then Nick being Nick, well, scowled. 

"Damn those Monsoon Children!"

Of all the nonsense in the world. Here the crown was, lying untouched in a mortal house. And where was the Monsoon Council? Off partying?! He sighed. The Council should be closer to finding Aaron Droplets and hopefully his family. If he didn't have a successor to take over the Monsoon Council well then....at least Nick had a few choice swear words to say. Nick quickly stuffed the crown into his box.

 "That ought to stop the leak.."

He sprinted down the stairs. The lady looked surprised to see the work done so fast. She wordlessly handed him 10 dollars. Nick shoved the notes into his pocket and ran. As soon as he was out the door he vanished and appeared in front of the Winter Mansion. "Sierra!" he called.  "Telephone Mamie Quall and tell her we're coming over for dinner. I think we may have something to show her."

Sierra's jet black hair and pale face peeked out of the expensive stained glass window. Her amber eyes roved to Nick's workbox which looked like it had been bombed. The screws were hanging loose from the sides of the red walls and the black handle had fallen off some way behind. Inside it looked like something was fighting to get out. The walls of the box were pulsating gently. Oh and Nick was drenched from head to foot. He walked up the marble stairs and gave Sierra a quick hug. Keyara came bounding down the stairs. "Did you get a kitten?" she asked hopefully, eyeing the box.

"No sweetheart. And I don't think this is something you should play with either."

Keyara's face fell. Just then Nick's workbox exploded. The crown flew out and began to buzz and hum. Nick raised an eyebrow. Something here was not right.

Kaniara was the picture of happiness. She pranced around the backyard on her skates. The yard was like a mini ice hockey rink. And it was still snowing. A worried face peeped out from the window. Vanity Hailstones had no idea what to do with her excited little granddaughter. The mortal neighbours were starting to get suspicious of the weird snowstorms that seemed to take place only in Clapham neighbourhood. 

"I'm happy for Nick," she thought. "If the other one's the same the Winter Council is in good hands."