Fourteen

Louisa Lloyd

Louisa Lloyd

"Oh, this is not good."

Deaton paces in front of me as I sit on the examining table in the middle of the room. I stare at the bare walls in annoyance.

Why is this happening to me now?

"So you're telling me you haven't touched Isaac since you broke up but you can still have visions of him?" He asks, rubbing his bald head.

"Yes." I clarify. "I know my powers have changed and that now I can only have visions by touching a person... But it's so different with Isaac, it's like I can still feel him whenever I'm alone. Maybe this is a side effect of thinking of him too much."

It's hard to admit but I still think of him. And worse, I have visions of him. Every single night since we broke up.

"It's getting harder." I admit. "I see his face wherever I go and I can't even look at him during class."

"Why?" He sounds exhausted. We've been here for hours now, trying to find a way to extinguish my unwanted visions.

"Because every time I do, I start shifting and Scott can't help me because he isn't able to smell me! And I have to sit there, looking like a normal person when all I want to do is roll on the floor and cry like a baby!"

I close my eyes, remembering just how bad the visions are right now. I wake up drenched in sweat and tears, calling our Isaac's name. Because I know there's something happening to him.

"Tell me about those visions. What makes them so horrible?" Deaton sits in front of me, giving me the opportunity to just get up and leave.

But I have to tell someone. This is slowly killing me.

"Every night is the same thing: I end up waking up screaming for Isaac because of what happens... In the visions. He is always hurt by his father, and the last couple times I see the freezer he told me about... Where his father locks him whenever that monster wants to punish his innocent son."

Deaton opens and closes his mouth for a minute, out of words after my confession.

"It happens as soon as I close my eyes. I'm taken to Isaac's house, and there I see the most awful things: his dad beating him, yelling at him like he's the worst son in the entire world... But last night's vision was different..."

"What was it about?"

I close my eyes, the scene unfolding in front of me. One second I'm in Deaton's office, and the other I'm standing right next to Isaac as his father throws a plate at his face.