Chapter 16-Are We Home Yet?

Season 2 Episode 2-4

Still paranoid about the gunshot we are walking along the edge of the forest and the edge of the road. I just hope that it doesn't draw any walkers towards us.

"Hey kiddo, you keen to walk for a bit?" I ask Sophia who is on my back.

"'Course." She replies sliding off my back. "Who do you miss most?" She asks out of nowhere.

"What do ya mean? Dead, or from our group?"

"Our group." She smiles.

"Probably Glenn, but Razor is a close second." I say thinking about the group.

"I miss my mom the most." She states. "But I also miss Carl." She says more quietly.

"Ooh." I laugh. "Is it 'cause he's your friend? or?"

"He always makes me laugh, like after the walkers ate my dad, he said a joke that was out of the blue and we were both laughing." She explains.

"Cute."

"Oh yea he's that to."

"I meant as in it's cute that you two are friends, but this is interesting." I laugh and her face goes red. "Don't worry I won't tell him." 

"Thank you." She laughs. "Do you wanna play a game?" She asks.

"Of course." I say making my voice go weird. "What game?"

"I Spy?" She asks.

"Sure, you go first."

 "I spy with my little eye something that is..." She trails of to think for a minute. "Red!" 

"Uh the blood on my shirt?" I ask she laughs nodding. "Alright I spy with my little eye somethin' that is brown."

"The trees?"

"Yup." We go back and forth like this for about fifteen minutes. 

"Your turn." She says and pokes me.

"I spy with my little eye.." I start and trail off looking around. "A car." I say out of shock.

"That's not a color." She says.

"No Sophia. Look a car." I say and point to a dirty old white car on the side of the road about ten meters in front of us. 

"Oh my god. Yay!" She yells happily the sushes herself. 

"Thank Castiel, Just in time to it's getting dark." I say running towards it. I hear Sophia's footsteps beside me.

"Who's Castiel?"

"An angel of the lord." I laugh and slow down at the car. I look into the windows seeing it abandoned. I jiggle the handle but the door doesn't open. "Check and see if the doors are unlocked."

"Alright." I grab the antenna off of the front of the car seeing that the window is opened a bit. I shove the wire through the window and try to unlock the car. failing once, failing twice, failing three times.

"Dammit." I say kicking the car.

"Just take a breath and try again." Sophia says. "That's what my mom always told me to do when I was having trouble with homework."

"Alright." I take a couple deep breaths and try again, hooking the antenna around the lock and successfully pulling it up. "Finally."

"Good job!" Sophia cheers.

"Alright you look in the car for anything, but especially a map. I'll check the trunk then see if I can get it started."

"Ok." She agrees and climbs into the car digging in all of the compartments. I pop the trunk and walk around to it opening it fully.