Burning

Darkness finally came around and Victor was shuffling back and fourth on the floor thinking of how to find and stop Missy before she does anything wrong. I started falling asleep in the living room until I made myself stay up. The soft sounds of Devin snoring and the fire crackling in the corner of the room was all I could hear as I tried to shake off the tiredness. My eyes stared into the fire with the emotions of anger. Suddenly I remembered my dream.

"Victor!" He jumped and looked at me. "I had a dream about!" I stopped. "Oh no." I stood up, waking Devin up in a hurry as Mistletoe yelped as I stepped on his tail. "We have to go now!"

"Why?"

"I had a dream of a house on fire!"

"Fire?"

"It's been in my dreams more than once." I ran out the door and Victor fallowed behind me with Mistletoe.

"And your running where?"

"Back home." I stopped running once I heard sirens going off. My heart fell and Victor noticed the fire truck was heading down my block.

"Let's go Violet."

We ran in silence side by side. I saw smoke rise and fear dug deep inside me. I froze and Victor pushed me forward. Suddenly in the middle of the night we were standing in front of my house; watching it burn down in flames.

"Mom?Dad? Dexter?" I quickly went underneath the caution tape. Someone yelled at me but never stopped me. I ran to the front door as the kitchen window shattered. I hid my face and opened the door. A flash of flames came creeping in my face. I walked through it into the smoke. I tried to breath but it was gagging me. "Mom! Dad!" There was no baby cries. "Dexter!" My frame was shaky. "Please answer!" I couldn't breath now as I found my way to the stairs. As I went to go upstairs the steps became engulfed in flames, the ceiling was falling and pieces of the roof crumbled to the ground. I fell backwards as my body gave up and fell. Suddenly someone grabbed me, threw me over their shoulder and walked out of the house quickly. I tried to kick and punch my way out of their hold but they wouldn't let go of me. "Let go of me!" My voice was low and crackly from the dryness in my throat. I tried to wet my mouth but it didn't work. "I said let go!" I started coughing again and they let me down. I was starring up at Devin. I was holding me shoulders length away and kept from looking into my eyes.

"No."

"Let go of me!" Tears filled my eyes. "My family is in there!" The window to my room shattered and I fell to my knees. I watched the flames in fear. Devin was bleeding through his shirt but he paid no attention to that. Mistletoe came running over to us.

"calm down Violet."

"No! Mom! Dad!" My coughs got worse. "Dexter!" The roof suddenly fell on the house and I held my hands up to my mouth as I watched it crumble to the ground. I let out a scream and tried to push through Devin's arms. "I said let go of me!" I was reaching for them, for their voices, their health. "Devin!"

"I said no!" He yelled at me. "Your not risking your life!"

I froze. "You knew about this! The whole time you knew!"

He looked away from me. "Yes."

"Why didn't you stop it? Why didn't you save them?"

"It wouldn't change anything. There time was up."

"No! Bring them back! Bring them back right now! Take me instead!"

"I have no control over them! They didn't respond to hell's gates! Listen to me!"

"I don't want to!" I shouted at him. "Go away!" I fell to my knees and covered my hands over my face.

I watched as Devin backed away from me and drew out Grim. He turned away from me as he picked up the scythe and stepped into the soldering flames. He came back outside of the flames with the broken whistle. he gave it to me with no words.

"You might be annoying but I'm starting to get use to you." He pointed the scythe at me. "Chose fate. Either for us to leave you alone and you can love a normal human life, no strings attach, when you die I will come and take your soul like I was suppose to." He leaned against the scythe. "Or fix the whistle and come home with us."

I can't loose them again.

"Think wisely though. One path will be easy for you to fallow and the other will be difficult."

"How do I fix a broken whistle?"

"Think about it. The whistle broke when you called for us. It shattered from the fear and the sadness. Hell doesn't except that in the category's."

I stared down at the whistle and than at Mistletoe, his bright blue eyes starring up at me. I stood up and turned around, walking away from my fears and my sadness. I didn't look back as I turned around and slowly walked away from my old life. The pain was unbearable but I pushed it away. The breeze chilled my body and I slowly touched my neck where the scar was.I wrapped the chain around my neck and the pieces formed back into place slowly as tears fell down my face. It didn't long for people to talk about my family, of how they died, of what happened to me or how they all died and I didn't. We still looked or Missy and couldn't find her until two days after the accident. She was found making the devil a deal through a human and got caught. Grim killed her and sent her back to hell for punishment, maybe death. I hoped it was death. Hell decided to let Devin and Victor off the hook but Grim had to keep up with all of his jobs. They seem to give him more now that he is permanently here for a while. I know live with the three guys in the house until it is time for them to go back home and when that happens I hope I'm ready for that day. Let's hope I a'm soon.