Chapter 49

Hope's POV

"Are you sure you wanna go to school today? I can just say you're not feeling well." Melody spoke as she handed me a cup of coffee at the breakfast table, conceded features on her face. I looked up at her and nodded, as I carefully took a sip of the hot liquid.

"I'll be fine. Besides, I wanna see Kelley." I admitted, trying my best to hide the tiny smile that was quickly creeping on my lips. A rather smug one became visible at my sister's face, and I just rolled my eyes in response.

"You guys good? I never really got to ask you last night." I couldn't hide the smiles my face if I wanted to just from thinking about it.
"We're good." I said simple, as I took another sip. Melody was clearly eager to hear more, but tried her best to contain herself. She knew I'd tell once I was ready.

**

I had promised Kelley to call her this morning, but I never really got the chance. Meaning I was honestly kinda nervous about calling her. I was hoping seeing her in person would make up for it. I walked out of first class with Carli next to me, and it felt good to have her there.

"Solo." A familiar voice called my name, and that smile immediately found its way back to my lips. Kelley walked towards me, also with a smile on her face, only somewhat more concerned then mine. Tobin and Alex followed behind her, smiling proudly hand in hand. I couldn't help but for a second envy what they had, the easy and open love for each other. They seemed so happy, and they had every reason to be.

"Hey, guys." I Carli said back, smiling politely at everyone. My eyes were fixated on that one pair of undecidable hazel green, and the way Kelley looked back at me gave the same impression. Her eyes didn't seem to worry as much now, which I was thrilled about. I didn't want her to worry over me, I do more than enough of the worrying myself.

The others causally fell into conversation, all while Kelley and I had a silent one of our own. It's close to impossible to describe, but something in her eyes told me that something was chanced. The way she looked at me, it was different. It was more like before. Before the I ran away, before the accident, before Moe.
When she was with Moe, there was always this obvious guilt in her eyes. I could swear it was no longer there. She seemed genuine, and good. The way she was looking at me.

"What about you?"
"Hope, are you going?"
"Solo?"
The voices suddenly became hearable when I noticed all the eyes staring at me. Kelley was shaking her head slightly, looking around a little flushed herself. We had been caught.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" I spoke up, directing my question at no one in particular because I wasn't sure who initially asked. Carli was watching me with a smirk, and I tried my best to not look her way.
"Are you going to prom?" Alex asked now, smiling over at Tobin as she said it. Another one of those cute moments I was jealous of. Prom. God, I haven't even thought about that. My thoughts have been elsewhere I suppose.

"I-I'm not sure." I said honest, trying to consider the pros and cons of going. I mean prom should be fun if I get to bring Kelley, but I don't know what the odds are for her allowing me to take her. And maybe it would just be almost too pointless at this point. I've survived a car accident, dealt with my crazy unstable mother, fought for the love of my life, and now prom dresses and dates? I don't know, it seems a little unimportant.

"I didn't really think prom was my thing either." Tobin started, now getting my attention. "But then I got to take this beauty and it suddenly became the most important thing. It's strange how love does that." She continued, kissing Alex's hand when she finished. The smile one the forwards face was glowing like never before.

I looked back at Kelley, and it was like all of Tobin's words made perfect sense. I couldn't care less about prom or dresses or any of that, but if I got to take her it would be an honor. To show her off on my arm, spend the entire night with her. I would love nothing more.

"Yo, are we having a team meeting I didn't know about?" Kling suddenly appeared next to Alex, and looked at all of us with a smile.
"And you're late as always." Carli joked back, and we all let out a short laugh.

"Prom, thoughts?" Alex let Kling know what we were previously discussing, and her eyes lit up at the question. She turned towards Kelley as she spoke, lowering her voice slightly.

"Prom, right. Kells, I was actually going to run over something with you." Kling started, getting the full attention from everyone.
"Would you be okay with me asking Moe? I know it might be a little weird, so I thought I'd run it by you first." Kling paused, and at least speaking for myself, I was surprised by her words. Kling wanted to ask Moe? Where the hell did this come from.

I could easily see Kelley's confusion, but luckily for me that seemed to be it. There wasn't any jealously or anger that I could see at least, which made me even more certain about what I was thinking about us.

"Woah- you wanna- Moe, huh?" Kelley spoke now, definite giving more away in her voice. There was clearly some shock there, this was unexpected to her.
"It's not- it's not weird. Why would it be? Sure, go ahead." Kelley tried her best, but I'm pretty sure we could all tell she wasn't comfortable with the thought of it at all. It was also clear that she knew she didn't have the right to say anything against either, which all became complicated in my head.

The fact that she didn't have the right to say anything meant she had officially broken it off with Morgan, but she still seemed hesitant to the thought of Morgan with anyone else. That was definitely not good news for me.