sixteen

Jaws Dropped
+
s i x t e e n ;

[please read the author's note at the end]

   I couldn't stop staring at myself in the mirror. My curves were accentuated with the green fabric clinging to my skin. Chills were poking up along my arms as I stood there. I looked regal and fascinating. I was comfortable, but somehow still nervous. What if Harry doesn't like the outfit I chose tonight? Not that his opinion really matters, but I am going to be living with him for only God knows how long.

"Ready, dear?" Freya's voice brought my formally focused self out of my frenzied thoughts, the soft skin of her hand grazing against my neck as she fixed a piece of hair, causing goosebumps to rise like fire on my skin.

   I nodded, smiling and taking one last look at my dress, my makeup, and myself in general, before turning to Freya, walking out the door. I smiled as she led me, her heels clicking lightly against the wood and long, red pristine carpets that lined the halls like the red carpet back on Earth. With the exception that these were lines with gold at the edges, adding an extra, gilded touch to the already regal looking halls.

   My cheeks blazed with growing anxiousness as we approached the tall stairs, watching as the at least one hundred people stood below. No one had noticed us yet. The two women in maroon and regal green dresses that hugged their frames. We looked like queens, I'd presume, as we approached the stairs. Freya going in front of me as we walked down the stairs.

   And then, I spotted Harry.

   His glorious curls were the usual chestnut brown that made me want to twirl my fingers into it, the curls reminded me of almonds. He looked absolutely stunning. His hands were intertwined behind his back, causing his chest to push out only a little, his breathtaking smile bracing his cheeks, his thousand-watt smile uplifting his indented dimples gloriously. He hadn't noticed me yet, and I was glad. I had to somewhat recover from this blush that accompanied the raging butterflies in my stomach.

   And as I was taking a deep breath, his eyes widened in conversation with Barden, causing me to curse and nearly kick myself because of my negligence as I moved my gaze, noticing that Barden had found me, walking down behind Freya. I was too distracted by Harry to care, or even notice for that matter.

   His eyes found mine and the childlike blush on my face that I was trying to simmer down flamed back up again, causing the giddiest smile to slowly make its way on to my face as I tried to push it down, not succeeding.

   His jaw was hung open, his dimples sadly gone from his slightly flushed cheeks. I could see the sparkling evergreen of his eyes, even from where I was, approaching the end of the staircase. I lifted my dress only a hair to avoid tripping in front of the many people here tonight, breaking eye contact with Harry for only a second, at most, to complete this action.

   As I made my way to him, I made sure to breathe, not to say anything stupid in front of him in risk of embarrassing myself to the extreme. I ran off a mental checklist Freya had ran by me while doing my makeup, though I barely caught it from the constant overthinking, it was imprinted into my mind like a stamp.

   1. "Don't touch face in risk of messing up your makeup."

   2. "The lipstick took a long time, no kissing!"

   3. "Watch your step. Those heels are sharp and this dress is one of my favorites."

   And last but not least, 4. "Have fun and smile."

   As I completed the checklist, smiling at the kindness of Freya, I made it to Harry, his mouth still parted in what seemed to be awe as I bit my lip, trying to keep my smile from growing any bigger.