Chapter 4

Dimitri sat down next to me, putting his head between his hands. "I really wish you wouldn't do this, Roza."
The nickname sent a tingle up my spine that I couldn't brush off no matter how much I tried. "Do what?" I did my best to pretend that nothing was nothing me.
"I..." he paused. "Never mind." He sighed and looked at the wall, suddenly fascinated by the dents.
Then Ivan came in.
I jumped up but Dimitri moved to restrain me.
"Ivan!" I called, pushing Dimitri harder than I thought possible reaching to hug my baby boy. I was vaguely aware that Dimitri sat there, not trying to catch me again.
I did take this as an opportunity to grab Ivan and run. Just before I jumped out of the truck, I glanced one more time to drink in Dimitri one last time.
His mouth moved. "I...van...."
I knew, at that moment, that he recognized the symbolism behind the name and I glanced away from him and fled.

"Mommy, where are we?" Ivan asked, now on my back.
"I don't know," I finally admitted, tired.
"I'm tried. Can we lie down?" Ivan whined.
I was too tired to protest. We were in the forest, it would be dense enough so no one saw us. "Okay."
Ivan slid off my back and I promptly lay down on the mossy floor, Ivan curled up next to me as I drifted asleep.

I woke up, shivering. It was so cold. I glanced up at the sky, only to see a Strigoi face in front of me. I instinctively kicked up, only it did nothing to him. And Ivan! Where was Ivan? I saw him over the Strigoi's shoulder, looked fearful and worried. "RUN, IVAN, RUN!!!" I shouted, willing him to move his feet.
He only shifted slightly.
"I SAID MOVE!! GO AWAY!!!"
"But... mommy..."
I knew what I had to do now. "NO! GO! I DON'T NEED YOU!! YOU DON'T NEED ME!!" Dimitri will protect him, I thought, seeing his heartbroken expression as he ran. The last thing I saw before I was taken by the europhia (Idk how to spell it someone help me) of the Strigoi bite.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry it's so short guys!