2

Mary's POV

I left the batcave very hastily after dropping Damian off and changing into my civilian clothes. I guess I should've waited longer for Damian since he does live near my apartment but I really did not want to deal with his attitude anymore. 3-5 hours of patrol 2 or 3 times a week is all I can handle with him. I don't even know why he's my partner. Maybe it's because we're the youngest in the repertoire of bat warriors or whatever.

I'm currently sitting in my living room, working on my chemistry homework which is such a breeze for me. Then again: most academic subjects are. My favorite show, Archer, plays quietly in the background and I occasionally laugh at a few of the characters antics.

At some point I finish my homework and I guess I fall asleep on my couch. I wake up to soft morning sunlight streaming in through my long windows. I watch the sun make its way up into the sky just beyond the east river. It's my favorite thing to do, watch sunrises. I'm glad I don't have class until later today which I means I have time to go for a run. It's an easy way to soak up sunlight and stay in shape.

I'm lame, yes, I know.

I change my clothes and make my way out of my building and onto the already bustling Gotham streets. Music pumps through my earbuds and I run to the rhythm so I can pace myself. I weave in and out of crowds and around people. Some give me annoyed looks, others give me kind smiles. I return both.

I slow down to a walk in front of a building with tinted glass in front and I take a peak at my reflection. Right now, I look like Mary Grayson: your average 19 year old university student. Instead of Nightstar or Mar'i, just your friendly half alien hybrid with fiery hair amongst other things. Curtesy of my hologram pendant. Instead of my normal completely green eyes, I have normal bright green eyes. Instead of long literal fiery hair, I have short black hair.

I pick up the pace once again and head towards the park, my favorite place to take a break. I like to sit on the benches near the pond and just chill. It's refreshing. I take a sidewalk path down to the heart of the park towards the pond and that's when I see him.

Damian. Really? He knows this is my fortress of solitude. Ok well maybe he doesn't, but he should. I zip my windbreaker up to my throat and continue jogging towards my bench, the one he's so contently lying on.

His nose is buried in a book and when I approach him, he holds one finger up. Telling me to wait. I roll my eyes and place my hand on my hip, waiting for him to allow me to speak. He shuts whatever book he was reading and nods at me.

"You're in my spot." I say flatly.

"And your name isn't on the bench, Grayson." He retorts.

"Well yours isn't either, so scooch." I reply, and he rolls his eyes but complies. Hm, I thought he would've left.

"What is so special to you about this bench?" Damian asks, and I think he's trying to be nice.

I look at the lake, watching the little ducks and ducklings for a few seconds before responding.

"Well, when I was little my mom, dad, and I, and maybe Bruce like once, would come here in the evenings on the weekends and feed the ducks and get ice cream. And then every year on my Dad's birthday, we would take a family picture here on this bench. We always loved watching the sunset, especially since it's when Tamaran is visible with the naked eye. It's just a childhood thing. I just like the nostalgia of it."
I explain to Damian, glancing over at him to see genuine interest in his eyes.

"Hmm, well your family rituals are much less harsh than mine." He laughs dryly, I give a small smile. It seems like he's trying to be civil, which is nice.

"Are you actually trying to be nice to me, or did my dad put you up to this?" I wonder out loud. 

"Mm, a little bit of both." He quips with a smirk and I roll my eyes, typical.

"Yep, that was too good to be true." I sigh.

"Mar'i, come on, I can have a sense of humor." He shrugs.

"Yeah ok, sure." I say in a mock voice, holding up my hands.

"-TT-"

"I swear, I will cut your tongue out if you do that again." I mutter.

He does it five more times.

"Fuck you too."

"Don't you just enjoy our little chats." Damian smiles as I stand up to jog away.

"Fucker." I say before jogging away.

"Same to you."

•••••

Hola readers! Please let me know what you think of the story so far (I promise there are some very twisty exciting parts coming up so just bear with me.) The picture at the beginning is how I kind of see Nightstar's outfit right now. It'll change, don't worry, it's gonna be kind of like an evolution.

Just bear with me!! Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote and comment!!!