12

Mar'i's POV

In this moment in time I care about nothing else except finding Damian.

Before it's too late.

My heart pounds hard against my chest and everything feels fuzzy as I walk through crowds of people, heading toward where I saw Damian exit but I'm stopped. A loud bang followed by the sound of glass breaking then fire alarms catches the attention of everyone in the room. All the attendees turn to run outside through the entrance, people behind me jostle my body as they run past and then the whole room is clear save for the people crowding the door way.

I take this as my opportunity to pull my hologram earrings out, my hair immediately bursting into bright purple flames. I lift quickly into the air, and fly through a large window over the door effectively shattering it into a million pieces.

"Is that Nightstar??" I hear shouts from the crowd below me. Usually I would feel a swell of happiness and pride, but tonight I don't even react to it. I need to help Damian. Down below I spot him fending off an attacker with only his bo staff. I mean, he's doing a good job but maybe not for long. He appears to be hurt, limping, but only slightly. He seems to favor his left side. Before diving down to help him, I grab hold of the zipper on my dress squeezing it twice. By literally probably the power of magic and holographic technology, my dress transforms into my usual patrol suit.

I whistle to Damian and the attacker below me. They both look up and I see Damian has put his mask on his face, always making an effort to conceal his identity. Damian makes a move on the still distracted Merc, and the man catches himself in a backflip. I swoop down, raining starbolts on the attacker and he dodges every one. More guards and assassins run in.

"Glad you guys decided to show up to the party!!" I yell over the flames and drunken screams and whoops of the crowd. Why don't they leave already?

I look behind me and see Damian struggling and I fire a green bolt at his attacker who flies sideways from the impact. Damian looks to me and nods then goes back to kicking ass.

Two attackers close in on me, but I take them easily. I launch off my feet, flying towards them with my arms spread effectively grabbing them and throwing them back into three more assassins. I land once again, kicking a female assassin in the gut and throwing another off my back. Just as I feel her let go, I shoot up into the air raining starbolts down on incoming attackers who immediately fall back. Just as I start to come back down the ground I hear a strangled yell and I look toward the origin of the sound.

Damian stands, almost hunched over, a sword lodged in his side. The crowd behind the whole scene screams and gasps. My heart feels like it stops beating and my limbs feel cold despite the fire that is growing across my arms, unknown to me.

As if in slow motion, I feel more fire than I ever have before form behind my eyes. Heat courses to my hands and I look down to see my veins illuminated with bright green. My hair whips violently behind me in long strands in fiery purple. The remaining mercenaries ready themselves, the one who was fighting Damian drops his limp body on the ground and I feel myself lose it.

The crowd behind me senses a change in my demeanor and they all rush to get back inside before the ticking time bomb that is me unleashes hell upon these bastards.

And then it happens. I land with such force that the ground shakes and all the attackers run towards me. I start to form a large starbolt in my hands and it grows and grows and when they're close enough I throw it to the ground. A blinding light and one of the loudest sounds I've ever heard is apart of the resulting impact. Anyone close enough to the blast, who wasn't me, will be severely injured I can tell you that.