3

Damian's POV

Mar'i. She irks me. Less than most, more than some. It takes almost too much to be kind to her and it's too hilarious to not antagonize her. Her hair bursts into flames and she throws together jumbled swears and it's just hilarious to watch her flail. I cannot help it. Her father thinks my actions to be, how did he say, that of a dick. Funny, his name is Dick. Which I pointed out and he zapped me with one of his electrified eskrima sticks.

But there is something about Mar'i, though. I do not hate her, although I know that is what she believes. I do offer small gestures of kindness, but not often or only when she needs it. I was not raised or trained to be kind, so I am still working on my social habits. But I really do not hate Mar'i, I do not believe she hates me either. She tries to reach out to me and be kind but in return I tend to insult her and push her away. She should not care, really, yet she does.

And now here I sit, in the middle of the University library half reading a book that I have forgotten the title of and thinking about some silly girl.

The library is alive this time of day, people rushing in and out and others reading or studying or talking amongst themselves. I catch several girls glancing my way and I roll my eyes, effectively resulting in them turning away. I do not blame them however, my genetics are perfect. I have caught Mar'i staring at me a few times. I never really do something rude to make her turn away, most times I try to start a simple conversation. Something my father taught me to do in order to start conversations with clients or maybe even a girl I was interested in. Like last night, I suggest we return to the batcave before heading to our homes. Although that conversation ended up turning into an argument. That seems to be our pattern. We have two arguments and then a civil conversation followed but two more arguments and so on.

I wonder when we'll have a civil conversation.
I ponder subconsciously then shake my head to clear the thought, an odd feeling stirring in my stomach. Disgusting.

I decide to leave the library and begin to head out to my next class, chemistry. Which I happen to have with Mar'i.

The feeling dances in my stomach and I will it away.

Ugh.

I make it to my class with about 5 minutes to spare. It starts to fill up and Mar'i has yet to arrive, soon one of the only seats left is right next to me. With only one minute to spare, Mar'i shuffles through the door and glances around for a seat. She spots the one next to me and heads over reluctantly.

-TT- Good to see her as well.

"Good afternoon, little Wayne." Mar'i says, I believe it is a pun. A reference to a rap artist who I do not listen to. In fact, I hardly listen to any music.

"To you as well, Grayson." I reply, kindly and she gives a tentative smile. She rearranges her shoulder length hair (which is only an illusion) around her face and pulls all her hair to the front. I watch her do so mostly out of curiosity. I read her body language and I assume she is nervous or uncomfortable, maybe even agitated. Most likely agitated.

Why would she be acting like this?

The professor begins his lecture and explains what we'll be doing. Mar'i quickly jots down all the important notes and guidelines for today's lab, which is simple enough. Identifying atoms based on the color that is shown when a solution is heated with a strong flame. I gather our materials while Mar'i reads through her notes about a thousand more times.

"Can I burn the chemicals?" She asks, her eyes sparkling with excitement. Funny, she must like fire. Very ironic.

"Just don't burn yourself, Grayson." I retort, smiling just a bit.

"Oh please, like that could ever happen." She mutters the last part which gets a smirk out of both of us.

"Well at least act like you burned yourself." I say as she sticks a cotton swab into a test tube to gather some of the substance. She places it into Bunsen burner flame and a bright red streak of fire appears in the flame.

"Holy shit, that is so badass." She says, astonished. I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm.

She picks up another vile and gathers some of the liquid on another cotton swab and this time there is a streak of green in the fire.

"Hmm, my favorite color." She says happily.

"How coincidental, green is mine as well." I saw, writing down our observations.

"Really? Why?" She asks, glancing over the other chemicals.

"Green is a peaceful color, I find solace in it. Something which used to be rare for me." I explain and a small smile graces her unusually pale face.

"Woah, that's actually really poetic, Damian." She says holding another vial.

"Thank you, I try." I reply, taking the vial from her hand and swabbing it.

"See these are the conversations I enjoy." Mar'i says after a beat.

"You're not the only one."

****

Hey there, again, tis I. Soooooo y'all are getting TWO updates today, because I really didn't feel like I could post this part without posting the next one because this one felt filler-ish. These first few chapters are mainly about showcasing Damian and Mar'i's relationship and showing how they act with each other based on their emotions or the situation or what have you, but be prepared for what I have in store.

Also!!! So in my brain, I envision Asa Butterfield as Damian so I have a lil picture of him in here. You can imagine whoever you want as Damian, that's just me lol.

Ahh, ok anywho: Don't forget to vote and comment!!! Stay tuned!! You won't regret it!!!!