11

Are you ready?

Damian's POV

The almost "incident" on the boat permeates my thoughts as Mar'i and I sit in the limousine, on our way to Lex's Gala.

Why did I almost do that?

Well I know why, I think, but I push those feelings deep down inside me. Mar'i is important but the mission at hand is even more important, her life depends on this. Not my feelings.

I look to my left and there she sits, looking out the window, hands clenched tightly in her lap. She wears a brave face, but I can sense the fear she holds in her heart. Although she will not give up this fight, which is a brave feat considering how many times she's been hurt and what's at stake. I admire her for that.

The limousine pulls into the driveway of a large mansion, one that looks similar in size to the manor but more modernized. I look to the middle of the large home, right about where the office should be. That's my main objective, sneak into the office and search for files pertaining to the League and also the Court of Owls, since that's my fathers primary target.

Our driver opens the door closest to Mar'i and she begins to step out, holding my hand as she does so. I can feel her trembling and I absentmindedly rub slow circles on her warm hand with my thumb. We're posing as a couple with our regular civilian identities except she's Mary Anders, not Grayson. An aspiring model and my girlfriend, I guess.

"Damian, is it just me or does it seem stupid to be here under your real name? You know...because of the league?" Mar'i whispers as we walk toward the entrance. Interesting notion.

"Probably, just don't eat or drink anything handed to you. I won't either. We'll be fine." I jokingly instruct her and she sighs, appearing to shake off her anxiety.

Just before we walk in, I offer her my arm and she clasps onto in like she did when we boarded fathers yacht. Several reporters pass us and shout my name, trying to grab my attention but I just smile and wave them away. Mar'i does the same, muttering 'excuses me's' and apologies as we enter the gala.

There appears to be around 300 people here in the large ball room. There are security guards at every door way except for a stairwell that I can only assume leads to the kitchens and bathrooms. I look all around me for any security cameras and spot seven, one in each corner of the room plus three on the ceiling.

"Ahhh, Wayne Spawn!" A voice chirps behind me, I recognize it as Lex Luthor's.

"Mr. Luthor, great to finally make your acquaintance." I respond over the music, shaking his outstretched hand.

"And who might this dove be?" He asks, gesturing to Mar'i who smiles and I feel a pang of jealousy. What?

"Mary Anders." She replies sweetly, taking his hand which he presses his lips to instead of shaking....What??

"And what might you do, my dear?" He asks, grabbing a glass of red wine of a tray being carried by a waiter.

"I'm an aspiring model, working with Troy Photography." She answers, using her free hand to push hair out of her face.

"Ooh, a model. You're a lucky boy, son." Lex says to me and Mar'i smiles uncomfortably, but I think I'm the only one that notices.

"Would you excuse me, Beloved, I need to find a bathroom." I say to Mar'i, patting her hand and she looks to me worried. We established that phrase as our code to go our separate ways. For me to search the house and for her to talk to investors and Lex Luthor.