Chapter 4

Niall's P.O.V

“I had to. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to make my sister proud. I had to lie about my age to get on the X-Factor, because... my sister was dying of cancer,” I explained, reluctantly. It was the conversation that I hated bringing up.

“You had a sister?” Zayn questioned. I nodded in response.

“Oh,” Zayn mumbled before gulping, “Is she alive?”  I shook my head and burst into tears.

I was in the middle of singing 'Fly Me To The Moon' - one of my favourite songs - when my had snapped in the direction of my door. My eyes followed the light, which reflected off a bit of metal. The door was pushed open and there was my sister, Emma. She was on her wheelchair, so I quickly stood up to help wheel her in my room.

"Niall, I wish you'll get recognised for your voice," she stated, looking at me in amazement.

"Why? It's just something I do for fun," I replied, sending a smile.

"If only there was a way where you could get onto the X-Factor without being sixteen," she mumbled to herself. 

"What were you doing creeping in the corridors anyway?" I laughed. Her smile faded and her eyes trailed to the floor. Although I was only a year older than Emma, I felt really protective over her and tried to look out for her as best as I could. Also, since she was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years before, I tried to be with her at all times.

"What is it?" I asked, cupping her chin with both of my hands and lifting her head so our eyes would meet. Her eyes were filled with tears and some splashed onto my palm.

"Niall, I don't have much longer," she whispered, shaking her head from side to side.

"Much longer for what?" I questioned, doubting the answers in my mind.

"To live." 

Ever since Emma said that, my mission was always to make her wish come true.

"So, it's true! You're really the baby of the band!" Louis teased, lightening my mood.

"Wasn't it obvious?" Harry continued the joke.  Everyone had their fits of laughter, including me, and when it died down, Liam decided to break the ice.

"Niall, do you want to be in the next performance? It's in half an hour," Liam asked thoughtfully.

"Yeah, I'll do it. Emma would want me to." The main reason why I continued to sing was because of Emma, and I wasn't going to stop any time soon.

"OK, do you want to eat something before we go back to the arena?" Liam questioned.

"No, I'm fine, thanks," I answered.

Zayn's P.O.V

Niall never told us that he had a sister. Never. I never realised that for someone as young as him, I mean, being seventeen, two huge secrets could be hidden.

After a short break of making each other laugh to make Niall a bit happier, we went back outiside, and entered the stage with the roaring audience. The first song that we were going to sing was 'Story Of My Life'. As we all sang into the chorus, I realised that my microphone had just stopped working! I tapped it but no echo came out. As it was getting closer to my solo, I became more and more worried. I was so confused too, as the microphone worked perfectly for my first solo. Niall saw my looks of fluster a few seconds before my solo and by then I was getting pretty worried.

"And I've been waiting for this time to come around,

But baby running after you is like chasing the clouds." 

I looked down to see a microphone was shoved in my face. My eyes trailed up the arm of the holder, and to his face: Niall. He pulled the microphone back, missing some of his solo.

"-her home,

I drive all night,

To keep her warm and time,

Is frozen." 

The audience laughed, as Niall sang this in a deep and gruffy voice. He risked losing out on his solo, for me? 

Once the exhausting but fun concert was finally finished, I ran up to Niall and held on to his shoulder.

"Thanks man," I said.

"Don't worry about it." He smiled. To be honest, because Niall revealed his age - or I found out, rather - I thought that it was even more nice of him to do that, rather than if I thought he was twenty.

We sprinted into the tour bus and rested on the sofa.

"Niall, what happened to your solo? One minute you sound all normal, and the next you sound like Santa Claus!" Louis chuckled, making his voice deeper at the words 'Santa Claus'.

"Oh, my microphone turned off, for some strange reason, so he let me use his," I quickly added.

"Really? We didn't even notice," Liam stated. 

"It was no big deal," Niall spoke.

(A/N: Thanks for the 244 reads, 28 votes and 51 comments! I'm sorry that I took so long to update and the reason is that I wanted to do a double update on Christmas! What did you think of this chapter?)