Chapter 8

When we made it to the mall on Saturday, Rachel and David were seating on a bench underneath the awning by the main entrance. They looked so cute wrapped up in each others arms. Her shoulder length caramel colored hair was full of perfect curls, her round face adorned rosy cheeks, and blue green eyes that sparkled. David had a bronzed complexion, making Rachel's already pale skin look ghostly. He kept his black hair neat with a close faded hair cut, his eyes were a light hazel brown. They looked so happy in their publicly private moment. As Gwen and I walked over, they didn't move, they sat there staring into each others eyes.

“Ah come, on you guys, get a room! Your PDA's make me nauseous.” Gwen rolled her eyes and threw her hands up in the air.

“Wow Gwen, could you be a little more over dramatic?” Rachel laughed, David straightened out, then they both got up.

“Rachel, David this my Ellie. She just moved here. Ellie this is Rachel and David.”

“Nice to meet you Ellie.” Rachel hugged me.

“Hey.” I hugged her back, and smiled and waved at David.

“Come on let's go, Ellie's closet depends on this shopping trip. Trust me, I've seen it and it gave me nightmares.” Gwen chuckled , grabbed my hand and dragged me toward the mall entrance.

“Do I sense someone in a need of a makeover?” Rachel was positively glowing. This must have been something that made her happy, I didn't have to know her to see that.

“A makeover isn't even the word, Rachel. I would go more with overhaul. I mean, do you see what we have to work with?” Gwen whipped me around in a 180 spin. I stood there, in my sweatpants and tank top, with a puzzled expression on my face. My hair looked like a rat's nest all jumbled in a half bun half ponytail up do and no makeup, which I never wore. I didn't even know how to apply it.

“Oh wow, yeah... I see what you mean. Sweetie, I'm sorry, but you're crying for help, and Gwen and I are just the people you need. How do you feel about highlights?”

I shrugged. “Sure, Rachel. I am up for anything.”

“Oh Ellie, you shouldn't have said that,” Gwen started laughing. “You might end up with green hair!”

“OK Gwen, that only happened once, it was like some freak accident, besides the green looked good on you.” Rachel looked a little pissed off that Gwen wasn't letting go of the incident.

“No really, Rachel, anything. I think I want a new look. Something not so plain. I will gladly take any improvements and suggestions.” I smiled reassuring her I was good to go.

“Yay! I'm so excited!” Rachel squealed with enthusiasm. “You won't be sorry. Promise.”

David rolled his eyes. “OK ladies, this is where I leave. I don't do shopping and makeovers. Besides, I got band rehearsal.”

“What kind of band are you in David?”

“Well, we're kinda alternative punk. We have a pretty good local following. We actually have a gig tonight, are you coming?”

“Of course she's coming. She has to show off her new look.” Rachel wrapped her arms around David's neck and kissed him goodbye. David waved at me and Gwen and headed to his car.

“So, where to first?” I had to admit I was just a little nervous after hearing about the green hair thing, but that could always be fixed, I hoped.

“Well, I know where we are not going, anywhere that seems like a store you would normally shop in.” Gwen and Rachel laughed and then dragged me inside.