Chapter 20

I couldn't sit still for the next three hours while waiting for the sun to go down. If my heart was still beating, it would have been racing.

I paced back and forth the main hallway on the first floor, finally throwing myself down on the sofa about an hour before it was time to go. I needed something to focus on, staring up at the ceiling wasn't doing me any good. I stared at the crystals hanging from the chandelier when dad turned the light on. The way the light refracted off them seemed to be doing the trick, until I heard a loud ringing noise that made me jump out of my skin. It was Marcus's phone. Rachel was calling to let him know that there was no sign of Sasha or the faint heartbeat she had heard earlier.

“OK, Rachel, thank you. We will be there soon.” He closed his phone and slid it back into his pants pocket.

“Nothing?” My father jumped in to ask before I could.

“Sasha isn't there, and Rachel cannot hear anything.”

“We are still going. I know his scent. I want to see for myself.” I jumped up from the sofa and headed for the door. My dad and Marcus rushed behind me, and without thinking, I swung open the front door. I felt and incredible pain rush over my entire body. The sun was still shining, my hands were the first thing to start burning and blistering. Marcus pulled me back so fast we fell to the ground and slid back, while my father slammed the door shut before the sun could have the same effect on him.

“Elianne, are you alright?” Marcus's voice was the most frantic I had ever heard it.

“This is ridiculous, what good are all these abilities I have if I can't even go out during the day?” I was frustrated. I hated waiting around all day. Marcus helped me up and looked at my hands. The blisters had already begun to heal.

“Promise me you will be more careful.” He grabbed me by my shoulders, I could see the look of terror in his eyes.

“I promise.”

Marcus walked me back to the sofa and sat down next to me. He wrapped his arms around me almost as to make sure that I wouldn't do something so stupid again. I placed my head on his chest, and found myself listening for the heartbeat I knew wasn't there.

“Marcus, you still haven't told me what happened to you.”

“I know, but now just doesn't seem like the time.”

“I think it is. I want to know... I need to know. Please tell me.”

“Very well, I will tell you.” I watched my father finally take a seat in the room with us to listen to the story he must not have heard himself.