Epilogue

The New Orleans's winter left and the cusp of Spring came. Marcus and I stayed behind as the Rachel and David started a new life together traveling with his band. Lilin and the Elders had long returned to their own habitats, with the promise to drop in from time to time. I figured maybe in about twenty years.

With my new lifestyle and all that had happened was a thing of the past, and I felt normal. Well, as normal as I could, again. Aside from my change, I was still the same old Ellianne. With help from Marcus and my father, I learned how to control my animalistic blood urges and superhuman abilities, but never forgot about those I've lost. Aunt Cindy came back to her home, unafraid of me anymore, and engaged to Phillip. They planned to marry that June and he was going to move into her house with us. Dad rented an apartment overlooking Bourbon St., promising he was never going to leave his little girl again.

On Spring Break, my friends from Jersey still visited as planned, and I wondered how I was going to break the news to them, or if I would at all. They knew me well enough to notice my physical changes, but yet, I was still part human. Marcus and I went to the airport and watched as their plane touched down. Through the crowds of people unboarding their flights, and flooding the arrival corridor, I saw three familiars heads bobbing up and down each step they took. As they came into view, all three of my oldest, dearest friends, Jasmine, Nicole and Jarred smiled and ran toward me. We grabbed each other in one huge group hug and once the girls all streaming tears, Jarred backed away from our girly moment and introduced himself to Marcus. After all their drama, Jasmine and Nicole were able to forgive Jarred and brought him to New Orleans as a surprise. We had twelve wonderful days of catching up, sightseeing, shopping and going to local clubs, with the help of Marcus. I told them about William and Gwen (who began dating and and went on a Spring Break vacation) and the “dream” of my mother, deciding to leave out bits and pieces of actual events. This wasn't their world, and I refused to drag them into the darkness that lurks. Not a day went by that I didn't think of William, Gwen and mom. I still blame myself for a lot of just about everything, but I find comfort in the thoughts and memories of ever knowing them.

When my friends went back to New Jersey, Marcus and I began our eternal lives together. I began homeschooling for the remainder of my Senior year and got my diploma. When the Summer came, we traveled the world together for a year before settling back in New Orleans at the house he once shared with Rachel.

We sat in the parlor one night, cuddling on the green sofa in front of the massive fireplace.

“Elliane, would you try to change anything that's happened?” Marcus asked me, as he rubbed my head.

“Everything but one thing,” I replied.

“And what would that be, my love.”

I lifted my head to meet my lips to his and we engaged in a deep, passionate kiss. I pulled away for a second to give him his reply. “You.”