Chapter 32 : hell•o hell

Ananya's POV

The thought of seeing Nathan again, being around him, made me sick. I couldn't sleep the entire night.
Alex insisted and stayed back, considering he had to wake up early too to help me out.
He always had a few things stacked at my place for such sleep over nights. Maa had even given him a separate space in guest room cupboard.
The night was long and to distract my mind I washed clothes.
It was 5 am when i went to his room to keep the clothes and also wake him up.
"Alex!! Alex! Wake up. I am so sorry you will not get to sleep more if we have to leave early."
I felt so guilty that I didn't have courage to look into his eyes.
As I was leaving he held my hand in his.
"Hey Donavan!! Show me those eyes filled with guilt once. Don't hide now."
I turned around to see a sleepy Alex struggling to open his eyes.
"Don't worry I am the boss there, i will sleep at work. You know, perks of being a boss."
I didn't have any words to express what I was feeling.
I smiled and left.
I knew within a few days the workload will force him to drop this plan of his.
After all, he loved his sleep.

We left at quarter to six and spent time at the hospital. Alex was with me throughout. There was still no sign of improvement in Maa's condition, however she remained stable.
She was there for me, i knew.
I controlled myself. A tough day was ahead of me. How I wished Maa was here.
"Alex, lets go. No matter what, I should be for work on time. Maa always used to said that."
Alex got up. His eyes were red due to lack of sleep.
I gave him a pitiful smile.
"You'll get bored here. You shouldn't be doing this." I said.

He retorted pretty quickly. "I can never get bored with you Donavan."
I just looked down to avoid his gaze. What I could never see before was right there in his eyes, his feelings for me.
This feeling of guilt will never leave me I guess, until his eyes imprint someone else.

My heart was racing as the car same to a halt. I didn't think I was ready for what awaited me in the office.
I took a deep breath but my heart gave, and I felt sick. A drop of tear rolled down my cheek.

"Hey. It is going to be alright. What happened?"
Alex was concerned. He quickly opened the door and ran towards my side as I tried to shake my head in denial and got out of the car.
"Ananya.. dont worry. We will go meet Mrs.Donavan during lunch time. I know you are feeling guilty to leave her alone there. But isn't this what she would  have wanted? For you to not stop!?"
I couldn't take it anymore and broke down in his arms. I think it made him uneasy because it felt as if he flinched there for a moment. But in days that was the moment I didn’t feel alone.
He patted my head gently and comforted me, not kowing what exactly I was going through.
"I should probably go now."

Soon after Alex left, i half heartedly walked towards the building. People were rushing towards the elevators.
I reached one but the door just closed on my face.
I waited for another one to come by but the next one came from the basement and was all full.
The wait was making my anxiety boil up.
Just then another elevator door opened and I walked in.
But what happened next warned me of what was in store for me for the rest of time I was suppose to spend in the office.

Nathan moved inside the elevator and stopped others from entering.
I was too shocked to react and the door closed leaving me alone with Nathan.
My heart was thumping, my heart beart loud enough, echoed through my ears.

I couldn't look at him but I could feel the piercing gaze he locked at me.
My feet were trembling and I just wanted the get out, but i guess my luck ran out days ago.
Suddenly the elevator came to a halt. I hoped to just rush out once the doors open not realising that the lift did not stop on its own. IT WAS MADE TO STOP.
Nathan had pressed the stop button and was now standing right in front of me with a crooked smile covering his face.
"Ms.Donavan. Honestly I didn't expect that you would dare to come here. I thought one of your lovers would offer to pay the bond. You surprise me."
Nathan spat his venomous words as I struggled to keep my eyes from letting go off the pain of my heart.
I did not want to respond to him in anyway and so I avoided him and moved towards the lift panel to restart the elevator.
But Nathan had something else in mind.
He pushed me back to the side of the elevator and rushed towards me.
He leaned onto me with his one hand resting on the elevator wall.
He looked directly into my eyes. My eyes pleaded him to let go off me. But he was in no mood to let go...
His eyes filled with anger, reminded me of that night and every part of my body just wanted to scream.
"No Ms.Donavan. i am the boss here and don't for a moment think I am even faintly interested in you anymore. You played a dirty game with me and so am I going to. Just wait and watch Ananya. You will pay for every wound you inflicted on my heart." He gritted his words towards me.