Chapter 50 : Silence

Ananya's POV

"Ananya wake up my dear." I didn't want to wake up. But the voice! Haven't heard that voice in a long long time.
I quickly opened my eyes to see that it was indeed her.
I jumped out of bed and in one quick motion hugged her tight.
"Maa."
"Come sweetheart. It is time to get up. I thought you were going to sleep through the morning to afternoon." She was speaking as if she was never in the hospital before.
How could she be here? No one told me she had regained consciousness. I didn't want to mention that in front of her and make her uncomfortable so I carried on without the mention of it.

"Yes Maa. Coming down in a jiffy."

I was so excited that I forgot about everything. About what happened with Nathan, my pregnancy, my marriage with Alex. Although I wanted to talk to Maa so much about it all but I didn't know if it was a good idea to me mention it to her in that state.

As I stepped down I could hear familiar voices coming from the kitchen. Maa was not alone. Who was here? Deep down I recognised that voice but my heart denied. How could he be here?

I stepped into the kitchen but my heart stopped as I saw both Alex and Nathan seated beside each other eating pancakes, smiling and talking to Maa.
My head whirled for a second but I quickly regained my composure.

"There she is. Come, I have made your favourite pancakes." Maa was super excited and I smiled back her.
How much does she know? How much have they told her? Why did Nathan come here?
I had so many questions but no answers.

Alex got up to get himself a bottle of soda. I followed him to the refrigerator and caught hold of him.
"What are you doing here? What is Nathan doing here? How much have you told Maa?"
Before he answere, he just looked at me, smiled and got back to his seat.
What was that?

I looked at Maa and straightened my look.
"Ananya, come darling. Eat something. If not, come with me to the garden I need to pluck fresh veggies, seems we have a good produce of tomatoes."
Tomatoes! When did they grow up?
It was weird.

I followed her but not before looking at Nathan and Alex so calmly having breakfast at the table,sitting beside each other.
We went to the garden but I could still peep into the kitchen from there.
"Ananya, Have I ever told you, how me and Mr.Donavan came together?"

"No. You never did."

"Then may be this is the right time I told you that. When I was new to this city, everything here scared me, confused me. I used to get lost on the streets trying to find my way. One fine day, when I was returning from work, I lost my way again. With no money in hand, and no idea where I was suppose to go I stood there hoping someone would come along and help."

"Then?" I couldn't imagine Maa not knowing around here.

"There were no mobile phones those days. Then from the corner of the street, I could see a bunch of guys completely lost in themselves coming my way. I rushed towards them hoping they would help. There were 8 of them, and it did scare me a little. But I had no option. I went ahead and asked for help as it was getting quite dark."

"What happened then Maa? You must be so scared."

"Oh darling. I was scared and trust me all for a good reason. These guys agreed to help me out. They convinced me to follow their path. They brought me to an isolated place.."

My eyes widened just imagining her state.

"They left me alone there in that alley. I was so scared already and then I froze as they disappeared. It was already getting dark. I sat on the pavement. It was a deserted patch within the city. Everything seemed to become blur in front of my eyes as tears rained over my cheeks. I burried my head in between my knees thinking it would just make anything evil cast away."