Aftermath

"This can't be happening." Emma fretted, pacing back and forth across the dock.

They had called an emergency meeting to discuss the new changes and what had happened the night previous. The girls hadn't gone home yet, finding the new developments more important than their parents wrath.

Currently they were sitting in Lewis' boat, waiting for him to finish school. They had called him during lunch telling him where to meet up, but other than that he had no idea what was happening.

"Lewis is becoming quite the rebel, skipping school like this." Rikki observed with a wry grin. Cleo and Emma turned and saw what she meant. A blond haired figure was racing down the dock, piles of they assumed were research in his hands.

Lewis pulled up beside the breathing heavily. He tried to start speaking, but was still panting too much. He held up a finger for the girls to wait, and stepped into the boat, dumping the papers on the floor.

"Tell me everything."

They were at Lewis' house hiding in his garage. After the mermaids finished their tale, he put his head between his legs and stayed there for a while.

"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it doesn't seem like you have much of a choice. I mean, you guys promised. There's no telling how serious the moon will take that."

Emma cut in, "Yeah, but what about our families? What will we tell them? I mean, what are we just supposed to fall off the grid!"

"We'll just be a couple more runaway kids. Dad would be devastated." Cleo mumbled miserably.

Lewis grimaced. "Actually, you've already got the missing part down. It's been three days since anyone last saw you. The police-"

"THREE DAYS!" Emma screeched. "We've been sleeping that long!?"

Lewis gave her what was supposed to be an encouraging grin, but turned into a pained grimace.

"Yeah. Like I said, the police are all over looking for you three. Now might be the best time to disappear."

"Fine."

Rikki walked out of the garage. "But there's something I want to do first."

"Zane!"

Rikki saw his dark head turn, searching for the person who called him. She raised her hand. Recognition lit up on Zane's face, and he sprinted towards her, picking the small girl up and spinning her around.

Normally Rikki would have complained at being treated that way, but that day wasn't normal. Her face was set in stone, and she didn't utter a peep.

But through all of that, Zane could see that she was struggling to hold tears in.

He pulled back. "Rikki, what's wrong?"

She shook her head, and motioned for him to follow her. Confused, Zane did as she asked.

They walked all the way across town to the beach.

Rikki stopped and sat in a small knoll overlooking the crashing blue waves. The dark stone walls closed in. Her shoulders began to shake with small sobs.

Zane gently sat himself down next to his girlfriend, and held her against his chest while she cried, murmuring soft words in her ear all the while.

Rikki soon cried herself out, but made no move to retreat from Zane's arms. What she did next surprised them both.