Chapter 2

I let go of my mothers cold hand and called the police. In second grade, which was a years ago they showed me what to do in an emergency. I ran to the phone, shaking I dialed 9-1-1.

"Hello nine, one, one, what your emergency?" The lady on the other line responded.

"Hi...umm. My...my." I stuttered and burst into tears over the phone.

"Hello. Little girl what's your name?" She asked nicely through the phone.

"Tessa."I stuttered.

"What's wrong Tessa? I need you to tell me what's wrong."

"My mom...she's...she's dead." I whispered into the phone.

"Honey I need you to tell me what happened to her. And stay on the line."

"Some men came in the house yesterday night. They... They hurt my mommy!" I cried into the phone.

"Okay there's help on the way. Can you tell me how old you are?"

"I'm ten years old."

"Okay and what's your mothers name?"

"Her name was...was Kate."

"Okay, did the men touch you?"

"No, I hid in my closet." I responded felling a bit guilty for what happened to my mother. Soon there was a banging on the door. I got startled and ran to the door. I peeked through the blinds. I saw two police cars outside and an ambulance. I opened the door.

"Hi, are you Tessa?" A police man bent down and asked nicely.

"Ye...yes" I stuttered.

"Hi, I'm Louis. Can you show me where your mother is?" He asked giving me a hug.

"She's...she's in the kitchen." Louis signaled the other officers to go to the kitchen. He held my hand and took me to the living room.

"Okay could you maybe tell me what happened?" He asked sitting next to me with a small notepad in his hands. I told Louis everything that happened. He asked me about my family, my father and asked me if I knew his phone number. I haven't talked to him since summer.

"Okay Tessa we're going to take you with us." He said putting his notepad away, and taking my hand. Louis picked me up and carried me out to the police car. I wrapped my arms around Louis' neck and held on tight. When we made out I saw our neighbors staring at our house. He put me in the back of a cop car. He told me to wait here. He walked back to the yard and talk to a man from the ambulance that was pulling a table with a blanket over it. That's when it hit me. Mom. I quickly tried opening the door. It has safety locks. I start screaming and kicking trying to get someone to notice me. Louis saw me and ran to open the door. Once he opened it I fell to the ground and ran to my mom. Before I made it to her, Louis grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. He picked me up and held me tight. I hit his back to let me go.

"Let go of me I wanna see my mom one last time!" I screamed. He then put me down. I ran to my moms body and hugged her through the blanket covering her. "I love you mom." I whisper.