7. Visit to Lake Placid

Songlist: I Dare you - the XX, Love on the Brain (Don Diablo Remix) - Rihanna. 🎶

October 27th 1968, Lake Placid, NY.

Everything had happened so fast. So fast that there was barely time to think about what had actually happened.

The events of Last night; The party, their night at the Chelsea Hotel, this morning trying to hide from Francesco, and now Jaime and Lana were driving upstate to visit the singer's hometown.

They've been driving for a couple hours now but the highway was clear and both of them had been talking comfortably about normal stuff all along, Just like they used to before. Neither dared to talk about what had actually happened last night at the Chelsea Hotel. It was just a subject better left alone for now.

''I don't know why but, I think I'm more nervous than you. About meeting your parent's and all.'' Jaime said seating in the copilot seat. Lana had borrowed her own black car and given her driver the day off so she could drive to Lake placid with Jaime.

''Jaime, they'll like you. You're a very likable person and my parents are very simple people so don't even worry about it Honey.'' Damn it felt good to call Jaime that again, Lana thought.

''Yeah But I get nervous to the fact that they were going to meet Francesco today and instead you're bringing me after what we... never mind.'' Jaime said turning her head back to the car window to stare at the landscape.

''It was my choice, they'll respect it. Besides, they don't have to find out about anything.'' Lana said while driving. ''And Jaime... they'll probably ask how we met, just don't mention anything about Jim please. I don't want them to worry about something that's already way in the past.''

''Okay.'' Jaime nodded understandingly at the singer's past violent relationship with the mob leader.

''Oh look we're here.'' Lana said as she drove through the highway into the main avenue in Lake placid.

Everything about this town was subtle. Filled with wooden houses and cabins, small shops and the big lake that had some white fishing boats and huge pine trees surrounding it.

''I had forgotten how small Lake Placid really is.'' Lana said.

''So you lived here all your childhood then?'' Jaime asked.

''Yes until I was thirteen.''

''What happened then?''

''Well my parents sent me off to boarding school in connecticut, because... I had a little problem with the drink.'' Lana said ashamedly.

''Really? You never told me about that.'' Jaime said surprised.

''Yeah, I would often drink by myself, then I started drinking everyday. I knew I was in bad when I lost my dad's car one night. Like literally lost it in the middle of nowhere. And it's not like Lake Placid is big but we never found shit.''

''Oh my god you're kidding.'' Jaime said laughing. ''Sorry it's not funny but-'' Jaime couldn't contain her laugh, which made Lana also laugh with her. ''...That's so tragic.''

''I know, what the fuck was wrong with me. At first you think you have a dark side and, it's exciting. But then you realize the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it.'' Lana said.

Jaime put her hand over Lana's right hand, who was holding on to the gear shift.

''It's alright, we all have that rebellious phase when we're teenagers. And you're not that person anymore.''